Chewy509

Really old members... with really low post counts

Hi All,

I know I've been quiet over the last 3 months or so (new job and all, been busy). But have been noticing quite a few posts, from members I've never heard of, but some of the them have really low member numbers? I thought I was one of the older more active members... (besides Honold, Eugene, HMTK, etc)...

Are we starting to see some of the older members coming back?

Some people probably just mostly read, rarely write or respond. (On Slashdot, for example, I have a four digit member number, but only a few dozen comments over the years.) This is one of the forums I'm most active on. (The others are MacRumors and PriusOnline.)

Long ago in an internet of just a few years ago, I used to read every post on SR. Now I am much more picky about which posts to read and even more so about which to respond to.

Edited by Will Rickards

I myself have been away for over a year. My activity dropped dramatically after the SR crash that wiped out all of the posts (between 2002-2003) and after I noticed that there were rarely new news or reviews at SR. In the last weeks it looks better again, at least there are a few disk reviews and the new testbed.

I still remember the legendary Apology to China-thread that had some 1000-2000 posts... :) (A tribute here: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=18&hl= )

Just wondering, why did so many people join at the end of 01' or beging or 02'? Thats when I did. Is that when this site went big?

217254[/snapback]

There was a server crash about that time, which resulted in all memberships and posts to the forum being lost...

Now lets see: low posts this is possible......why

- some are lazy

- some have not much to say

- some like to read but do not want to get involved

- some are bored and visit the board sometimes

- some only want to read what others think and say

- some are curious

- some cannot sleep and are sitting behind their computer

- some are afraid of the answers they might get when posting what is in there mind

- some do not post....someone could get into their mind and influence there opinion

- some are only visiting the board while at work, but their boss do not want them to do that, so they can only "sneek" in once in a while

- some visit too many boards and have no spare time left

- some work too many hours ....leaving not enough time

- some have children and in order to beheave they may sit behind the computer all evening

- some lead a "double life", so no time for S.R. (possible you know)

- some wifes do not want the husband to sit behind his computer....

- some have to use their tel. line and pay to get on the internet

- some do want to visit the board more often during office hours, but unfortunately there are "way too many" beautiful girls in the office and they are getting "all the attention"

How i am doing guys?

François

:lol:

Long ago in an internet of just a few years ago, I used to read every post on SR.  Now I am much more picky about which posts to read and even more so about which to respond to.

217148[/snapback]

You got that right. After 'the big crash' there was what can only be described as a schism where a lot of the old people went off and formed their own board. That is where a lot of us live now. Far better S/N ratio.

I myself have been away for over a year. My activity dropped dramatically after the SR crash that wiped out all of the posts (between 2002-2003) and after I noticed that there were rarely new news or reviews at SR. In the last weeks it looks better again, at least there are a few disk reviews and the new testbed.

I still remember the legendary Apology to China-thread that had some 1000-2000 posts... :)  (A tribute here: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=18&hl= )

217229[/snapback]

I don't even remember registering this nick.... but it's old and has a low post count :) I think I registered it because I couldn't re-register my old nick at the time.... or because Chris was taken originally (back in '96?) and I figured I'd snatch it while it was available.... Of course, I no longer live in Stamford, CT....

I still remember the legendary Apology to China-thread that had some 1000-2000 posts... :)  (A tribute here: http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=18&hl= )

217229[/snapback]

Just when I said that it's been quiet at SR, there's the new testbed and multiple reviews per week for the past few weeks. Wow, excellent! Keep up the great work Eugene!

Long ago in an internet of just a few years ago, I used to read every post on SR.  Now I am much more picky about which posts to read and even more so about which to respond to.

217148[/snapback]

You got that right. After 'the big crash' there was what can only be described as a schism where a lot of the old people went off and formed their own board. That is where a lot of us live now. Far better S/N ratio.

217490[/snapback]

While in some ways I agree with you Vlad. There are advantages and tradeoffs to both forums. I'll be the first to admit that there are a lot of repetitive posts on SR, and that we get most of the "What drive is best for RAID 0?" and "I don't backup my data, I deleted it all/my drive died after x amount of time, how can I get it back?" posts, but there are advantages to a higher post volume and a more diverse readership IMO. As Will points out, you can simply avoid those posts, and most of the old timers on SR do --the topic titles are usually descriptive, juvenile or both which makes it rather easy.

Finally, there are still several posters on SR that make a point of trying to keep the S/N ratio high. And, on that note, if someone feels like the S/N ratio is too low, one can always do something about it by contributing their knowledge or starting up an interesting topic or two that;s in a different vein and seeing what happens.

Just wondering, why did so many people join at the end of 01' or beging or 02'? Thats when I did. Is that when this site went big?

217254[/snapback]

There was a server crash about that time, which resulted in all memberships and posts to the forum being lost...

217268[/snapback]

The irony that that happened at a site dedicated to storage and RAID topics is incredible.

C

The irony that that happened at a site dedicated to storage and RAID topics is incredible.

217795[/snapback]

Well, mentioning RAID in this case misses the point. There was no hardware nor software failure. As readily stated several times, it was a trigger-happy deletion of files in the process of reviewing the backup procedure in place that caused the data loss :(. RAID redundancy here would not have helped.

Absence makes... the memory grow foggier and the opinions harder?

So, as we all know, the data loss at SR happened eons ago. stinker does happen. It was an accident & we've all had our turn to complain. Hell, I delete data on purpose if customer's are real pricks...hehehe

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

Are we starting to see some of the older members coming back?

WHO IS SUMMONING ME?

I thought I was one of the older more active members...

llmao.gif