Sign in to follow this  
Buzz

Zero Channel Raid card?

Probably one of those cards you plug into a motherboard that already has an Adaptec scsi controller. So the raidcard works together with the onboard scsi that provider the physical connections. I have a similar thing on my Intel sds2

That is, if I understood well what you are trying to say ;)

Edited by Stoffie

Stoffie is correct, a zero channel RAID card does add the RAID functionality to boards that have SCSI. I believe it is specific to Adaptec and they are very product specific. IE: only certain RAID cards are compatable with specific Adaptec chips. They also require a special slot on the motherboard. They will be a short extender behind one of the PCI slots. Not many boards have them.

Edited by 2mendocino

Performance usually stinks though. I have an Adaptec zero channel in one of my servers. Raid-1 performs considerably worse than one drive, EVEN for reads!? I’m using one of the original’s with an old firmware, however. I tried hunting down a ZC review a while back. Didn’t find anything.

Intel has them as well, and they are available for SATA as well.

In my experience, the motherboards already had RAID, but the zero-channel card added the processor and ram so the system processor(s) didn't have any load related to RAID.