HisMajestyTheKing

Exchange 2000 FUBAR

Well, mostly. Windows crashed and I did a repair install. Server booted again but Exchange didn't start correctly. priv1.edb and pub1.edb were corrupt. I could repair pub1.edb but eseutil always gave errors on priv1. Can I just delete priv1 and create a new one somehow? The client can live withthe lost mails but they'd like to be able to send and receive new mails again. They have their own domain (domain.be) so I don't know how that affects the problem.

I positively hate it when I hve to slve these kinds of problems when I know far too little of the software. :angry:

If you have Exchange 2000 Enterprise you can create an additional Mailbox Store in the same or another storage group. You may be able to recover some mailboxes by going into Active Directory Users and Computers on the Exchange server (or another server with the Exchange Tools installed), choosing Exchange Tasks, then Move Mailbox, choosing the new store as the destination. If the corruption is such that it will not assign the mailbox to the new store, under Exchange Tasks choose Remove Exchange Attributes and then add them again with the same email address.

If you have Exchange 2000 Standard (limited to one storage group and one database), you have to delete the Mailbox Store from the applicable storage group and then create a new one.

I don't know what your general backup issue is but it sounds like the log file problem may be that you have circular logging enabled; disable that at the storage group level. I recommend disabling, but be sure that you are getting full or incremental backups or the log files will accumulate until the drive is full.

Like I said, I don't know much about Exchange at all. The installation was done by some other firm but the client kicked them out. Our salesman happily anounced that we would support them. Idiot.

Backup issues... No usable backup at all. Not on tape and not in a file. I could recover the EDB and STM files and log files E0000322 to E0000400'ish but priv1 remains corrupted.