bateslabel

PCI Express SCSI cards

I am going to be using a SCSI hard drive for games and I am going to be using a board with PCI EXpress obviously and I wanted to know is this a PCI Express card

Scsi Card

If not anyone know a decent one for a decent price. It just needs to be 1 channel. Its only going to have one 15K drive

Is there a better choice?

PCI-X is not PCI Express (PCIe)...

Wikipedia - PCI Express

Wikipedia - PCI-X

PCI Express will be described in terms of x1, x4, x8, and x16... but PCI-X is described by XYZ-bit and XYZ-MHz.

are you sure that your board has PCI Express? it should be a much shorter onboard connector (well, x16 is about "normal" length). PCI-X is usually a very long connector.

it's a very common mistake... i found this wikipedia stuff the other day because I got so confused too. :)

Edited by Belayman

What kind of board do you have in mind? The only ones I've seen with both PCI-X and PCI-E are high-level workstation, and server boards, e.g. Opteron boards rather than Athlon64. I don't believe that combination is available in the consumer market yet.

I looking at building a A64 X2 system. I know PCI Express offers advantages over pci so I did't know if there were pci express cards. This will be my first time with scsi. But I do believe the benefits will be worth it. Strictly for games. It will be 15K, 36 gig either Maxtor or Fujitsu. Well what would be a good pci card?

Heh, getting almost the same setup I got this week =D. It seems that you "can" use let's say... a Dual PCI-Express Motherboard, and use the secondary PCI-Express slot for another add-on card other than another Video Card. But such cards are very rare right now. I think only a RAID Controller Card made by LSI uses PCI-Express as it's connector slot, while they make PCI-X cards as well (Obviously). For instance, the nForce Chipsets use the PCI-E Bus for their integrated Network Card.

Edited by Maxtor storage

What else will be on the PCI bus?

I don't think a single 15K drive will be significantly different in a PCI-E slot controller versus a PCI controller. That is why I choose a PCI controller for my AMD X2 system. I've got an LSI card and cable. I got the card here $85 and the cable here $45 at computergiants.

A regular 33MHz/32-Bit PCI slot still delivers higher bandwidth than any Hard Drive, in a single configuration. Now if he where to use more than one drive or use some sort of RAID setup, then the PCI Bus would saturate when all those drives transfer data at the same time.

Edited by Maxtor storage

Thanks a lot guys. I will be using one drive and will be using a NForce chipset. I will be using an Audigy sound card so I don't think that will hinder the performance too much. The goal is too have the maps load faster. Will using a 320 drive hurt the performance if used with a 160 card? I know in theory it shouldn't, but this is my first time using scsi.

No it will not hurt performance, the bandwidth of the U160 channel exceeds the transfer speed of the drive so it will work fine and at full speed capabilities. :)

Burst transfers will likely be impeded by the relative slowness of the standard 32/33 PCI bus (132MB/sec theoretical, 90~100MB/sec typical due to other traffic).

Given the low cost of U320 controllers I'd grab one of those, just because. :)