Sign in to follow this  
FujitsuSCSIFan

Punched hole in HDA seal when changing jumpers

I'm clumsy and there is a seal under the jumper block with a hole under it right into the inside of the HDA on a Fujitsu MAN3184MP I have.

First of all, of course I know that since it's been opened it's not reliable but it's a nice fast disk, and it seems to be working just fine. I quickly cleaned the silver tape off that I broke and stuck on a piece of scotch tape to try to prevent further contamination.

I don't want to use the disk for anything important, but it would be nice and fast for transient data, etc. I doubt the scotch tape fix is anything more than VERY temporary. Where can I get that silver adhesive tape or something that will stick as well?

I searched for answers for a bit but the best I can find is a couple of guys who had the guts to take the top drive cover off, cut it out and glue plexiglass on, and seal it back up! I guess they got the bathroom steamy with the shower and let the steam take the dust out of the air...

Since I doubt you'll find anything commercially-available with the right adhesive, so here's the next best thing: cut a small piece of aluminum foil out slightly larger than the hole, burnish it over the existing seal, and use a tape of your choice to keep the foil attached.

Foil is about the cleanest substance you're likely to find easily for a HDD application, so the trick is minimizing exposure to anything else, since it's going to be dirtier.

I forgot about that foil tape, that sticks like crazy. Maybe I will put some foil over it like Mickey suggested and attach that with the foil tape...

Thanks for the input, I already have all of that at home, it just didn't occur to me!

Since you already have scotch tape over it, I'd suggest you don't remove the tape to replace it with aluminium foil. Of course the scotch tape is not perfectly clean but at least it is sticky and that keeps most impurities glued to the tape. Opening it again will expose it to dust particles in air.

Just add some air tight tape over you scotch tape.

Mickey does have a point but I'm not sure if you should follow those instructions unless you have a clean room environment. Duct tape over scotch tape isn't perfect but it's probably better than exposing the drive to dusty ambient air TWICE.

I think what Mickey is talking about is the outgassing of the adhesive on the scotch tape may be detrimental to the drive over time. The seal adhesives used on hard drives are designed with this in mind.

Free

the outgassing of the adhesive on the scotch tape may be detrimental to the drive over time.
That may well be the case, but it is a certainty that dust particles (even a minute amount of them) is very, very detrimental to the drive as well.

Maybe added cooling would reduce the evaporation of chemicals from adhesive? SCSIs typically run quite hot.

BTW, wouldn't evaporated chemicals exit through the breather filter? If the molecules on the other hand are too long to exit through that filter, then they would get stuck on the other filter. I know the amount of air travelling in and out of the drive isn't that great so the evaporated chemicals would stay inside for some time (days or weeks). But if we're talking about long term effects that could be enough to prevent them from causing corrosion.

I'd suggest that any damage from the materials coming from the tape already on the whole is already done. Those chemicals are are already in the drive.

BTW, wouldn't evaporated chemicals exit through the breather filter? If the molecules on the other hand are too long to exit through that filter, then they would get stuck on the other filter. I know the amount of air travelling in and out of the drive isn't that great so the evaporated chemicals would stay inside for some time (days or weeks). But if we're talking about long term effects that could be enough to prevent them from causing corrosion.

216177[/snapback]

No, they won't. In general, if materials inside the drive are outgassing, they do not pass through the breather hole (too small relative to the volume of air, especially with a labyrinth path). The volatiles tend to stick to everything inside. A recirculation filter can catch the particulate matter, while carbon will snag the organic volatiles and excess humidity, but you can't guarantee it'll capture it before it's deposited on the heads.