Bar81

Best PCI RAID card for RAID 1+0

Limited to PCI interface (shouldn't matter anyway with the setup I'm doing) and want to set up a 4x160GB SATA HD RAID 1+0 array (2 sets of mirrored drives striped together) for maximum fault tolerance and improved performance. So a nice 320GB HD is what I'm looking at in the end.

I have my sights set on the Promise FastTrak S150 TX4 Any other models I should be looking at?

Edited by Bar81

I have my sights set on the Promise FastTrak S150 TX4  Any other models I should be looking at?

is a 3ware 8506-4 or 95x0-4 out of the budget?

216069[/snapback]

It's not that, it's just that I haven't seen anything to indicate improved 1+0 performance over the significantly cheaper Promise model. What's the advantage of going with the 3Ware models for RAID 1+0?

IIRC the Promise and Tekram controller are fakeraid whereas the 3ware is not.

okay, fakeraid meaning software RAID? Does that give any tangible performance improvement in a RAID 1+0 array? I know in RAID5 it matters but imo RAID5 is a bad option.

On another note, it seems that despite what storagereview says Promise claims the S150 TX4 only supports 0+1 RAID and not 1+0 ???

okay, fakeraid meaning software RAID?  Does that give any tangible performance improvement in a RAID 1+0 array?  I know in RAID5 it matters but imo RAID5 is a bad option.

As I've understood it there can be large differeances between hardware raid and software raid even for simple raid levels like raid 1. My basic thinking goes like this:

For software raid 1 you need to send the same data twice (when writing, one time for each drive). If you are bandwidth limited (for example using PCI-bus) that will cost you a lot of performance. For a hardware raid 1 controller you send the data once over the bus and the controller then send the data to both drives.

So if you don't have plenty of bandwidth software raid could be a performance hog, or if you have a slow CPU, although any modern cpu should be able to handle raid 0/1 quite well. Apart from the bandwidth multiple I/O requests might also lower performance.

I think the topic starter wants to have 4 drives on a normal PCI-bus, so software raid would probably cost him some performance, specially if he has any other card (like NIC) on the PCI-bus.

Edited by Adde