Sign in to follow this  
TMGeorge

NTFS: data loss - going nuts :-(((

Hi there,

I you look for article of me you will find some about losing data.

1st time I lost data, because 7 HDs and other stuff were too much for my 350W power supply.

2nd time was after installing a stronger power supply and reducing the HDs to 5 the mother board was malfunctioning if a AGP card was installed. I gues it took damage from the 1st time.

Now I lost again some data. I was putting my machine to stand by. After turning it on again a complet HD with 2 x 100GB partitions was gone. It wasn't listed in the explorer anymore. It didn't contain any partition anymore.

4 days Later I started the machine nomally abd I got a lot of 'orphant file' messages. Afterwards I had a clean 160GB Partition.

So I don't know the f... what's going on. I can't imagine why complet partions/volumes go. If it would be single files, I would say OK. But complete partitions and volumes???

I have a ASUS P4P800SE with a P4-3GHz. The Big Files are on a extra Promise Controller Ultra TX2. It's 2x160GB Samsung and 2x200GB Seagate.

I had virus checks and memtest which just ran fine.

So I am quite clueless right now :-(((

BTW what recovery tools do you recomment. I have easyrecovery, but I think it's not so good. The tool should scan a raw partion, which once contained NTFS for files.

There's something seriously wrong in that system. Possibly memory errors (run Memtest86+), maybe a defective IDE controller (it has happened). Try another known-good Ultra100 TX2, be sure to use 2.20 build 14 or 15 BIOS (and partition only after flashing in case of build 15) and the 2.00 build 42 driver. We have two of these in use here, one with the .15 BIOS, the other with .14, and they've been solid, just like my old Ultra66 (now run with the 2.00 build 42 driver as well). *knock on wood*

I've used GetDataBack for FAT for 2 drives:

• Drive accidentally repartitioned, full recovery; even correctly recovered unicode filenames and data (Korean alphabet)
  • Drive indirectly struck by lightning, ~95% data recovered

Their NTFS version is probably identical to the FAT version. Highly recommended, especiallly since you can just run the demo to see if it'll work at all.

Runtime Software, http://runtime.org

BTW what recovery tools do you recomment. I have easyrecovery, but I think it's not so good. The tool should scan a raw partion, which once contained NTFS for files.

215593[/snapback]

What OS are you running?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo