Sign in to follow this  
Maxtor40

Maxtor Failures

Have you had a Maxtor crash? Frustrating? There is a site taking a survey of Maxtor hard drive failures.

They will NOT contact you unless you want the final results and ONLY if you provide contact info. It might be interesting to see how many had issues with warranty replacements.

The website is at http://www.maxtorsurvey.envy.nu/

Max

Nice rhetoric.

This survey is kind of silly. Seems like only people who had a Maxtor drive which failed would respond. There would be little or no information about Maxtor users who had no problems. So it's impossible to gain significant dependability information from this kind of survey. You just hear a bunch of anecdotes.

You could do this with any drive manufacturer and see very similar results.

(I don't work for Maxtor)

Well I'll comment and say in the last 7 days I have had a 6gig drive (Far be old) drive fail, a 80 Gig Sata in a Dell, 2 250gig SATA (Mirrored pair) and a 20 Gig drive fail. All in seperate systems all Maxtor drives.

I suspect that maybe they are having problems... in my case the 6 gig and the 20 gig are older drives but I have systems that have run 6 years with no failures. So why all maxtor? One can only ponder that question.

I think there's always a set of stories to tell about one brand or another. I had a Maxtor 2G (back in the day when they were large) that bit the dust when I dropped it 8 inches to a table top. Two 7Gbyte Maxtors simply fell offline after 2 years use. They were resurrected by removing the controller board from the drive, then cleaning the contacts between the board and the drive body. Ran fine for 3 more years (don't know after that - sold the machine with the drives running).

I have a 40G ATA133 Maxtor now. It's hummed along for 3.5 years now, not a single real problem (none that I didn't cause myself :) ).

On the other hand, I have several WD drives in the 4 and 6G range that developed oodles of bad sectors - got the drives running again by making "short" partitions - trimmin the expectation of the drive' storage....it seemed these errors were at one end of the drive. Several of the old 1.6G's no longer function at all. Have a more recent 60Gbyte WD ATA 133 - controller falls offline after a few minutes, 25% of the drive has bad sectors - obviously shot. No known reason.

Not sure what all that really means....it's a real pain if it's a new drive that's failing.

Two weeks ago I lost all music I have collected during the last ten years or so. It was all on a Maxtor OneTouch 200GB with USB2/FireWire interface.

I think the drive got some bad sectors, as I get ALOT of IO errors when I try to do something with the disk (like recover files or format).

The drive is a replacement drive I got from Maxtor a year ago when my old (and similar) disk had the same issues.

Furthermore I have an internal DiamondMax9 120GB ATA disk with bad sectors (but thankfully I can still use the drive as it hasn't grown more bad sectors).

I've bought alot of disks (maxtor, wd and seagate) the last 3-4 years and I haven't had any problems with the wd and seagate ones.

Maybe I've been unlucky or maybe Maxtor has a problem... I'm going wd/seagate only for now.