rfarris

Bridging Home LANs

5 posts in this topic

Both my brother and I have home LANs. He's in Arizona and I'm in California. We both use cable Internet access.

I'm familiar with VPNs. There is no problem for me to VPN into his server, and likewise coming this direction. But now we have more complex networks, including Tivo boxes. I figure we could use Internet Connection Sharing to bridge over into the far-end network, but I'd rather set up a VPN with endpoints on the routers, so that basically, we have completely, transparently merged our networks. That way I could watch shows on his Tivo, and he could watch my Tivo.

Does anyone know which routers (home routers, please!) support this VPN network bridging feature? Or maybe my idea is stupid. Maybe you could explain why.

Thanks!

No, really. Is this a stupid idea or a tough technical challenge; or is it just boring? I could use some ideas here.

Get a Linksys or Netgear or whatever router that claims VPN endpoint capability. The catch is that you have a dynamic IP address. So, you have to find a router that will allow you to enter a URL instead of an IP address to set up the VPN. I would like to do this myself but haven't had the desire to spend the money to test it. Of course, all things are possible with Linux...if you have lots of time and patients, etc.

The other issue is bandwidth. I'm not familiar with tivo or viewing TV over a network. I hear the Xbox 360 will be able to stream live TV from a media center PC. But I do know that video is bandwidth intensive. Given the typical cable modem upload spead of 384Kbps, you will likely find that TV is too large to transfer over the Internet.

No, really.  Is this a stupid idea or a tough technical challenge; or is it just boring?  I could use some ideas here.

215321[/snapback]

The other issue is bandwidth.  I'm not familiar with tivo or viewing TV over a network.  I hear the Xbox 360 will be able to stream live TV from a media center PC.  But I do know that video is bandwidth intensive.  Given the typical cable modem upload spead of  384Kbps, you will likely find that TV is too large to transfer over the Internet.

215352[/snapback]

The way Tivo works is that it copies the data locally. It can be started while the transfer is in process, but it buffers enough that you never have to wait for the data that is coming across.

My brother has a Netgear router -- Linux based, I think -- and it has built in software to use one of those services that keeps your site available if the cable company changes your IP.

Thanks for the comments.

The idea is not stupid, and is perfectly feasible. There are several routers that support this bridging feature, but I can't name any in particular. It may also be possible just to use VPN and enable the "Allow local LAN access" feature, or to dial in both VPN's simultaneously, while ensuring both networks use the same subnet.