Sign in to follow this  
chou12

WD External 80GB noise when SHAKEN?

Hello,

My name is Chi. Thanks for your help in advance. I purchased Western Digital External USB Hard Drive (80GB) this week. I came home, opened it up and before I connect or install software, I examined outside. I did this because the pink vinyl bag it came it was opened on top. Anyway, nothing seemed wrong comestically although there were finger prints on the clear protective plastic on hard drive sides (not my finger print of course). Then I shook it side to side a little, and it made some sounds (it sounded like some tiny metal part hitting something, or perhaps rattling :( ). I immediately stopped and let it rest for several hours. Then with little suspicion that this product could be a returned item, I connected the drive to my computer. Western Digital drive worked as promised and everything works fine. But I do have 2 questions. As I was researching about what the sounds could be, I read that damaged drive could have slower transfer speed. With USB 2.0 on my computer, I was getting about 20MB/Sec (from PC to external hard drive). This test was done on one large file. Anyhow, so my questions are:

1. Is it normal for external hard drives to make some sound when lightly shaken?

2. What type of transfer speed should I expect using USB 2.0, Windows XP SP1, 512 RAM, 2.4GHz?

I apologize for such lengthy explanation and once again thank you very much for your help.

Edited by chou12

Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" external HDD? It's normal for some drive models (independent of the enclosure) to make a rattle noise; it's the internal latching mechanism usually, although sometimes it's the dessicant pack/carbon block that's rattling in its housing.

Drives that are damaged from mishandling do not "develop" additional rattling sounds, not unless they are so badly damaged something broke off inside (and in that case, you'd see chunks missing from the casting and the drive wouldn't spin up).

Is this a 2.5" or 3.5" external HDD?

215155[/snapback]

Mickey, it's 3.5" external HDD.

Link to HDD

I tried to see if any B&M stores have it on display, but no one did.

Thanks for your insight into this problem. I appreciated it.

:)

Edited by chou12