xAyiDe

Dell Perc4E (PCI-E SCSI on socket939)

Anyone here that can confirm a motherboard with socket 939 that the above raidcard works flawlessly with?

215011[/snapback]

There are no 939 motherboards with PCI Express x8 slots. You would need an Opteron board.

KC

Anyone here that can confirm a motherboard with socket 939 that the above raidcard works flawlessly with?

215011[/snapback]

There are no 939 motherboards with PCI Express x8 slots. You would need an Opteron board.

KC

215085[/snapback]

The 16X PCIe slot on any nForce4 939 motherboard can be used to house a 4x or 8x channel PCIe RAID Controller.

I'd suggest you choose an SLI motherboard so you can have a video card (running on an 8x PCIe channel) in addition to the raid controller. That's what I was thinking when I bought my ASUS A8N-SLI Premium board.

Regards,

Michael.

The 16X PCIe slot on any nForce4 939 motherboard can be used to house a 4x or 8x channel PCIe RAID Controller.

No, that blanket statement is incorrect. This is an oft-repeated myth about PCI Express. It's unlikely that this would work correctly on a random set of motherboard, chipset and RAID controller.

There is a matrix of PCI Express card/slot compatibility. The term "Allowed" in the following matrix means that the combination can work IF the motherboard, BIOS, expansion card, and expansion card ROM support that nonstandard configuration.

Call any x8 RAID controller vendor and ask them if they officially support their card in a primary x16 graphics slot. I'm betting you wont' find a single one that does.

x1 slot   x4 slot   x8 slot   x16 slot
 x1 card  Required  Required  Required  Required
 x4 card  No        Required  Allowed   Allowed
 x8 card  No        Allowed   Required  Allowed
x16 card  No        No        No        Required

KC