where meshing is defined similar as striping, however, is set apart from the latter by not using a defined block size but rather writes one complete transfer to one disk and then the next chunk to another disk on a rotating basis. In other words, like a rotating JBOD where every consecutive transfer hits a different physical disk.

Regards

M.-

it is sort of an academic question but I came across a description of such a system that sounded somewhat awkward to me but ... I am not the expert and that is why I am posting here to get the feedback of all of you'se

You would need a full out filesystem to keep track of what is where in such a setup. It sounds a little unusual.

I've heard of meshing external hard drives before. But other than that I haven't heard anything about meshing.

Also known as "daisy chaining" hard drives.

Edited by LED ZEPPELIN

Thanks everybody, that was helpful. Essentially what it comes down to is that even if you don't fill up a "block" of a RAID setup, a subsequent write would still have to go to a different disk. Almost by definition, this would cause mismatch in the filling level of the different drives and as Gilbo pointed out correctly, keeping track of what is where would be very complex but it is still possible if you think of daisy-chaining with the limitation that every transfer will cause a rotation of the disks in the array. On the other hand, it is possible to define virtual disks that are composed of corresponding blocks of different physical disks .... just rambling on here..