shimman

new 500gB maxtor drive coming on oct 2005?

hello,

i am not sure whether or not i shoud wait for 500gB drives from maxtor or just get 300gB drives (maxline 3 with 1 year warranty)

http://maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/menui...=Specifications

according to maxtor, on oct 2005, there will be 500gB version of nas & it sounds like that 500bG external shared drive will use only one drive.

my chassis is nearly full & i like to get little more space & my source only carries maxtor & i have huge store credit i received from my employer

thanks

Well, if you wait a little, you may also think of getting the next Seagate. Rumors give it 4 platters, and anywhere from 125GB to 150GB/p, thus getting anywhere from 500GB to 600GB. IMO it should also be available early Q4 '05.

This is NOT based on any inside information, just tracking trends.

Yéti

Already using 7K500's. Just curious to see if the Maxtors are going to hold up any better or any worse. Catch is, if we can't get a sample lot of 100 to 200...

214994[/snapback]

will windows XP support a 500gb drive?

Already using 7K500's. Just curious to see if the Maxtors are going to hold up any better or any worse. Catch is, if we can't get a sample lot of 100 to 200...

214994[/snapback]

will windows XP support a 500gb drive?

215540[/snapback]

With 48bit LBA support it will. I think Service Pack 2 added that.

If a company is only willing to back up it's product for 1 year I think that indicates the quality they put into it. I'm not putting my data on something like that when I can get one that is better backed up, for a few dollars more.

Maxtor will no doubt have a Maxline version of the 500 GB product with a longer warranty. The 1-year warranty is for the cheaper DiamondMax desktop version (yes long warrantees are very expensive to maintain).

But regardless, why do you want to buy a brand-new cutting edge drive from any company? That's just asking for trouble.