patrick_

LAN cable, home-made

Is there some kind of tool to fit the 8 wires inside the plug? It just seems that they don't fit. I know about the tool to make them stay in the plug (it's called a crimper right?), but something to put them inside? It's not about the order, just that it's imposible to insert more than 5 wires.

Just in case it matters, the cable is Sharkoon cat.6 rigid and the plugs are Sharkoon as well.

Thanks in advance.

Is there some kind of tool to fit the 8 wires inside the plug? It just seems that they don't

214729[/snapback]

No, you just align them properly and push them in. also, make sure you're not stripping the wire ends.. the insulated end goes in, and the crimper pushes the pins into the wire.

Just in case it matters, the cable is Sharkoon cat.6 rigid and the plugs are Sharkoon as well.

214729[/snapback]

Rigid?

I don't think that's supposed to be used with connectors. It's supposed to be used 'between' (fixed location) sockets.

If you're making your own cables, try the plugs with 8 holes in the end and you'll be able to trim them flush after they're crimped. Those really make life much easier.

Is there some kind of tool to fit the 8 wires inside the plug? It just seems that they don't fit. I know about the tool to make them stay in the plug (it's called a crimper right?), but something to put them inside? It's not about the order, just that it's imposible to insert more than 5 wires.

Thanks in advance.

214729[/snapback]

It sounds as if you are you trying to actually make the cable itself, because otherwise, I don't see what the problem is. And if you're actually trying to make the cable itself, all I can say is "Don't." :rolleyes:

Buy a 1000' spool of Cat 5e and a good quality crimping tool and you should be all set to go. Good crimping tools will let you strip the ends and trim to length easily, too. B)

Of course, the easiest solution of all is to just buy a cable of the length required. They're not terrible expensive, unless you start going over 25ft or something insane.

making cables is easy.. just requires a lil bit of practice, just like everything else in life..
I start feeling nauseous after a minute or two if I focus on very small things. I straightened a row of flattened pins on a P4 the other day. It took me an hour. It would've taken you 15 minutes.

Could the problem be that you're trying to crimp connectors onto a solid core cable? the RJ-45 crimp on connectors are generally intended for use in making patch cables, which would be using a stranded core cable.

Solid core is generally used behind walls and what not as part of the permanent structured cabling system. Stranded core doesn't perform quite as well as solid core, but it's far more flexible making it better suited to short patch cables.

-Chris

Of course, the easiest solution of all is to just buy a cable of the length required. They're not terrible expensive, unless you start going over 25ft or something insane.
Depending on your needs, yeah. $1/ft for preterminated cat6 patch cable is what we pay where I work, and that's not bad. :)

Depending on your needs, yeah. $1/ft for preterminated cat6 patch cable is what we pay where I work, and that's not bad. :)

214939[/snapback]

Actually, if you look at TechDepot or other major vendors, you can find snagless 25' cables in the $6-$9 price range, which is more like $0.25/ft - $0.33/ft.

*damn*

That was a huge brainfart. :(

Sorry, meant to say $0.10/foot.

Just looked it up, 25' stranded cat6 w/boots preterminated for $2.50 the last time we bought 50. Cat5e was $1.75, if I'm looking at the right thing...

Edited by continuum

*damn*

That was a huge brainfart. :(

Sorry, meant to say $0.10/foot.

Just looked it up, 25' stranded cat6 w/boots preterminated for $2.50 the last time we bought 50. Cat5e was $1.75, if I'm looking at the right thing...

215009[/snapback]

Could you let me know what vendor you're using to get that? :blink:B)