Gilbo

Holy power supply Batman!

1 Kilowatt 'nuff said :blink: . You can see the beast over at Hexus.net.

I guess Enermax wants a head start on the competition for when Intel's next generation of chips come out.

EDIT: Fixed busted BB code in the link.

Edited by Gilbo

"I guess Enermax wants a head start on the competition for when Intel's next generation of chips come out."

LOL :lol:

That is a bit overkill, few will really need it, they should be marketing it more toward commercial or industrial use, people who may have a use for it. They however appear to be marketing it toward compensating for something modders, oh well they will sell them and I am sure the 2000 watter is on the horizon. :)

With one of these at least you could save a little on your heating bill. ;)

What a waste of electricity. A power supply with a load factor as low as this one will surely have is highly inefficient, like idling a V12 motor. At least the PSU will probably last a long time.

It doesn't have to be highly inefficient, particularly if you see some of the latest power supplies from Seasonic or Antec at www.silentpcreview.com 's reviews.

However, the comment in the Hexus.net article suggests otherwise :( ...

they add up to just a little over 1000W output, drawing 1400W from the mains…

That is only slightly better than 70% efficient, while the best power supplies now are well over 80% efficient.

It doesn't have to be highly inefficient, particularly if you see some of the latest power supplies from Seasonic or Antec at www.silentpcreview.com 's reviews.

However, the comment in the Hexus.net article suggests otherwise :( ...

they add up to just a little over 1000W output, drawing 1400W from the mains…

That is only slightly better than 70% efficient, while the best power supplies now are well over 80% efficient.

213663[/snapback]

That actually isn't that bad. I'd expect a 1kW PSU to have a ball park range of 50 to 60 percent efficiency.

I can think of one use for that right off-as a power supply to drive a bunch of thermoelectric modules. The ones in my thermoelectric temperature chamber use close to 600 watts on full power, for example.

I guess Enermax wants a head start on the competition for when Intel's next generation of chips come out.

I'm not going to buy the next generation of Intel if they're going to need a 1KW power supply.

One of the reasons I'm not buying a Pentium 4 is that it uses so much power.

1kW PSUs have been common place in larger servers (quad/8way) for some time, especially those running XeonMP's or Opteron 850's. But for a home user, what a waste. But then again, it's compensation for those will less than adequate assets... :P

Quote:

"(sniff snort)

I just got a spiffy new 1000 watt power supply for my super fast Athlon FX.

(sniff snort)

My whole system is water cooled and overclocked (leaks).

(sniff snort)

It plays Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, and Everquest really super fast.

(sniffsnort)

ATI and AMD are God.

(sniff snort)"

-Profiled Gamer

They will sell some of these to some idiot so he can run up mommy and daddies power bill idling a V12. :lol:

But for a home user, what a waste. But then again, it's compensation for those will less than adequate assets... :P

213697[/snapback]

I see. I take it you'll get getting a couple of those PSUs :D

But for a home user, what a waste. But then again, it's compensation for those will less than adequate assets... :P

213697[/snapback]

I see. I take it you'll get getting a couple of those PSUs :D

213882[/snapback]

Meanie, you're such a meanie! :P;)

FYI, those rated effciencies are generally at 70% load.....where effciency is at it's highest. It's quite possible it'll be lower on a lightly loaded power supply.

Doing a bit of googling on power supply effciency indicates that many"experts" out there don't even know the difference between power factor and effciency ie, "Wow, this new PFC power supply is 100% effcient!". Sheesh.

-Chris

I hate to be pedantic but... Actually I love being pedantic :unsure:

In fact, other than rocking up a huge electricity bill, it’s hard to see how you’re ever going to need 1000W inside your machine. Unless you’re a modding freak with five SATA drives, loads of lighting, fans and a pair of 7800s inside your machine with a kettle, electric fire and table saw attached to the USB you have to wonder why you'd need a 1000W PSU… but of course, you could just be future proofing, or compensating for something…

5 SATA drives can easily run off 100w, running 8 drives in a 250w PSU system is easy.

Ligthing uses a minimal amount of power, less than 1w in cases.

Attaching a kettle, electric fire, and table saw to the USB wouldn't do much considering USB ports are limited to 250ma output

And lastly, kettles, fires and saws are usually several thousand watts on their own :D

Edited by qasdfdsaq