HisMajestyTheKing

Cars (again): automatic or manual gear box?

Automatic or manual?   10 members have voted

1. 1. Automatic or manual?

• automatic gearbox
    • manual gearbox
    • other (like Tiptronic, ...)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 posts in this topic

ehurtley,

That was an amazing article, thanks for pointing it out.  I always suspected that the Prius had some miraculous engineering under the hood, and you have proven it.

It's not simply a bank of batteries and an electric motor helping along an underpowered go kart - it's got amazing tech under there.  the computer control code alone must be rather impressive - to model all of the torque/horsepower/speed conversions, and figure out how much to where under what load. 

You can see that degree of sophistication in the apparent cultish behavoir of it's owners, with the discussion groups, web sites, etc.  I'm saying this is a good thing, btw, not to ridicule.

Too bad that I can't have one...and just ordered the complete opposite...  :-(

Future Shock

213479[/snapback]

Yeah, the "...bank of batteries and an electric motor helping along [a]... go kart..." is the Honda Insight. (two-seater, electric+gas combined barely over 70hp.)

And as for cultish behavior? Lots of cars are like that. The Mazda Miata was that way when it first came out. (And still has quite a 'cult' following. I wonder if that will continue as they get rid of the 'Miata' name and just call it by its number, the MX-5?)

ehurtley,

That was an amazing article, thanks for pointing it out.  I always suspected that the Prius had some miraculous engineering under the hood, and you have proven it.

213479[/snapback]

A-ha! Found a 'Sim Prius' for your engineering pleasure...

http://www.wind.sannet.ne.jp/m_matsu/prius...index_i18n.html This is based on the older model Prius, but it will show you how the various things spin when you apply power or brake. The only major difference is that the newer Prius has a more powerful electric motor, so it can go faster on electric-only.

Slashdot currently has the same poll (perhaps they are copying SR???) about auto vs. manual vs. CTV vs etc. I would NOT be surprised if they got the idea from our current poll, given the timing.

What I do find interesting is the variation in results - Slashdot readers are much more heavily biased towards manual transmissions.

Read their results here.

Future Shock

Thieves. I'm gonna sue and ask for royalties.

King,

If you sue, I want a 10% finder's fee.

FS

@milesaway, I thought you used kilometers in Canada. Oh right, this is about a new spammobile with low mileage. I'll invest by not clicking your link.