Sign in to follow this  
Edien

Esata -> Best way to set this up

I am trying to get 5 external sata drives in a raid 5 configuration using an internal PCIe ARC controller; the 4 port sata II one (i want to be able to easily turn the array off when im not using it). I found 2 ways to do it: enclosures using the multilane adapters and enclosures with built in port multipliers. What is the best way to go about this? I could use a 5 drive enclosure that utilizes a single esata II connector cable with a built in SIL 1 sataII -> 5 sata I port multiplier (not sure this would work) or get an enclosure with 2 x 4 drive multilane adapters. Is there any other more efficient way to set this up? Thanks.

Does the four port controller support 5 drives?

213121[/snapback]

Nah the 4 drive multilane connector basically just turns 4 internal sata into a shielded multilane cable and then is split up again by another multilane connector in the external enclosure. I fear the 5 -drive port multiplier would be quite a bit slower than using multilane method too.

Anyone know of any good external enclosures with a 120mm an cooling the drives? most i've found probably arent very quiet/good solutions (although the drive thmeselves would be quite noisy.)