geofftech

CPU Cooling, weird cooling dilemma

I had an Aero 7 Lite cooling my overclocked Athlon XP 2600+ @ 2.28G. It cooled it moderately well but I was still looking for a litle more. so I got a Xgbox

http://www.mgecompany.com/xg/products_acce...ans_subzero.php

cooler that has 3 heatpipes and 4100rpm fan. for some reason withe the new cooler my chip runs abnormally high on load as high as 64C when on the aero it usually maxed out @ 55 or 56 maybe. Would anybody have any suggestions on y this is happenning or somehting I can do? Any help is appreciated.

I am guessing the problem could be a poor thermal bridge between the cpu and the cooler. Did you use proper thermal paste? Did you clean all old paste from the cpu and the cooler before mounting the cooler? If not be very careful not to touch the cpu with your fingers due to oil and use q-tips with rubbing alcohol to clean the cpu. Also make sure you have not used more or less then the recommended amount of paste, use the size dollop they suggest, also use the paste provided with the cooler, if it did not come with any or it is used up make sure to buy the suggested paste type.

Hope this helps. :)

Also I see no problem with asking general computer questions in our forum, there are many knowledgeable people here who can help with many computer questions in many areas, so feel welcome to ask us here at SR. :)

Edited by xSTLx

Thanks xSTLx.

The new cooler came with thermal paste on the bottom. I used a sharp blade to peel that off. I used alcohol to clean the core and copper block. I then applied Arctic Silver 5 to the core as instructed. So I'm not sure what the problem is. But thanks though.

Have you considered sticking the aero back on to confirm that your temperatures were lower?

Has there been any other changes besides the HSF?

I disagree with ralstra and agree with xSTLx that it sounds like a thermal interface problem, or a defect with the xgbox

It might be that the fan is not operating properly, or it may be that the aero 7 is just better for your setup.

I have to agree with twoj. I have a Aero Cool Tower cooler in my case with 2 80mm panaflo high output fans mounted on it, one sucks air from the front of the case where my vents are through the cooler to the other fan that sucks air from the cooler and blowing it directly into the 120 mm panaflow high output fan on the rear of my case that sucks all the hot air from my case. I have such a direct and perfect blasting air flow that I am sure no other cooler could possibly keep my processor as cool as this setup, all the fans line up so perfectly the cooler, motherboard, and case designers couldn't have gotten together for lunch and planned it as well. :)

Perhaps this new cooler just does not fit into the aerodynamics of your case as well as the old cooler, perhaps try reversing the flow of the fan, or even perhaps trying to mount it on the other side of the cooler, or add a second fan, which many tower coolers allow and try the flows in different configurations to see which works best for you cases air flow.

This is my cooler:

http://www.aerocool.us/p-cooler/ht-101/ht101.htm

Have 2 of these bad boys mounted on it:

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa80ulhisp.html

With this much air flow my cpu stays very cool. :)

The thermal interface between CPU and cooler can be checked by simply removing the cooler after mounting and noting how well the paste has squished onto the bottom. But there is another thermal interface on that cooler that may be bad--between the base and heatpipes. Better quality coolers solder this joint and lesser ones use paste or epoxy.

I like to use flow-through coolers like the XP90 or Zalman 7000 to also keep the voltage regulators cooled. At just 1500rpm the 92mm Nexus fans are completely inaudible and will keep a ~3.5GHz Northwood below 60C. Most cheap coolers work fine with a high-speed fan, but only the really good ones work well with low (quiet) airflow.

1. little advice how to aply the thermal paste.. the bone heads at tom's hardware apply it like it's cement in a fine uniform layer.. wrong...

For athlon XP processors apply a bit in the centre, about the size of a grain of rice. When u apply the cooler, the rice grain is squished, and doesn't get ANY AIR!

I tried to spread it uniformly on my old cpu.. i didn't know what the strange blue screens were :D hahahahaha

I switched to the rice grain method.. done about 5 AMD cpus and changed mine about 6 times. no problem whatsoever. one even works 24/7 on a file and media streamsing server.

2. never use the manufacturer's thermal pad. I used thermaltake pad aplyed on a volcano cooler. It was too thick for the metal to actualy come in contact with the CPU. so i took it down, shined the surface a little with some very fine sand paper, and some chrome oxyd paste, and aplyed some Titan silver thermal paste. About 5 to 10 degrees lower.

For athlon XP processors apply a bit in the centre, about the size of a grain of rice. When u apply the cooler, the rice grain is squished, and doesn't get ANY AIR!

213444[/snapback]

That sounds very neat, but have you tried that with Arctic Silver 5? That stuff is much more viscous.

cheers, Martin