tylerd

HDD coolers - harmfull?

I've never heard anything like that, I have heard they extend drive life because they run cooler.

If the cooler has a fan and the fan is hard-coupled to the drive and the fan vibrates, this could certainly lead to short life and degraded performance. Also, driver coolers are stupid. Drives are perfectly capable of cooling themselves if mounted properly, which is to say vertically. Mount them horizontally, and they are sure to cook themselves.

Try reading MaxtorSCSI's post on temperature and power consumption. Many drives are indeed expecting to have airflow across them for cooling.

Drive orientation may affect some drives' ability to radiate heat passively, but to say that proper vertical mounting is always going to be adequate and that horizontal mounting is bad is erroneous.

I've red somewhere that HDD coolers may produce vibrations and can lead to HDD damage or faster wearing of HDD. Is this true?

212705[/snapback]

The ones that attach to the top of the drive can be a problem, as most drives have a vent hole in the top that needs to be open. I have seen a couple drive cooler that do this, and I can't understand why the designers would think this is a good idea. The ones that attach to the sides can help some, but mostly, the ones that attach like normal drive bays do, or even leaving it further open than that, with a fan nearby would help the most. I have an Antec aluminum case that attaches a drive carrier to the bottom of the drive, leaving the sides open, and settle into the drive bay in front of a 120mm fan. This has worked the best of anything that I could find. Even my old WD 250 that would overheat and lock when defragging with any other cooler is kept cool enough to defrag nightly. I just ordered a new Raptor, since my Seagate SATA drive died, and I feel that my cooling situation is more than adequate.

Point is: Fans are good, closing up stuff around the drive is bad. just keep the drive in the open, maybe a fan around it, and you'll do fine.

But how do you mount a hard drive vertically in an ordinary PC case (ATX)? I know that most SCSI enclosures and hot-swap drawers have vertical bays, but I also have a PC with 40GB Maxtor ATA drive, and it runs well hot. It is placed in a 3,5" bay, two slots below the floppy.

Well, they're design to have air flow, but I don't think they need to have a drive cooler blowing air at it.
Generally, a case with fans designed to cool the harddisks is a better solution.

Sixteen 7200rpm disks in a 3U rackmount can be cooled sufficiently by five 80mm fans and still survive at least one fan failure. :)

The drive only cares about airflow. If you're depending on convection cooling, mounting the drive vertically might help it dissipate a bit better than horizontal, but probably not enough to save the drive from an early demise. Convection alone is rarely sufficient for drive cooling. But if you've got adaquate airflow across the drive, orientation is a don't care.

In my experience a 7200 drive itself vibrates more than the cooler would make it vibrate. i have 2 WD jb 40 GB and 80 GB, the 80 gb is on top, 2 spaces upwards with a coler underneath, so the 40gb wich is below can benefit. Both vibrate the same, and both are just 1 degree apart in temp. 29 vs 30 in idle. (and i keep my full tower case open)

Personaly i'm more comfortable knowing that my drives don't go over 40 degrees. That's more cpu like temperature..

I have never seen an ATX case with vertical 3,5" drive bays. I remember seeing some such old AT cases years ago.

Thank you for information.

The Antec P180 and I believe some newer chassis from Chenbro also have vertical 3.5" HDD mounting. I prefer to mount mine horizontally, but the P180 may be my next chassis, it's damned nice...