Sign in to follow this  
Ron_Jeremy

Installing SP2 results in:

This PC is a Athlon64 "Cicero" tower from Future Shop. The mainboard is labled as a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800 Pro, & warms a S754 3200+.

Anyway, installing from the Cicero "recovery" CD (XP w/SP1), I get no problems & the PC runs fine. It's when SP2 is installed (either from CD or from Win Update) that the PC goes to the toilet. After SP2 is installed & you're prompted to reboot, the machine will either BSOD (0x0000007e) or just run through a continual reboot cycle. Last Known Good yields no fix. Safe Mode works just fine, but I can't get this *&^ker to boot normally.

If I use a "regular" Microsoft XP disc (with no service packs slipstreamed into it, btw) instead of the supplied "Cicero restore disc", & then install SP2 (again, from either disc or download), then all is well! Would this lead one to believe that the Cicero disc is preloading non-compliant drivers for SP2? If so, how would I get around this? I've gone into Device Manager (while in Safe Mode, of course), & uninstalled/deleted just about every device possible, but rebooting normally still gives the same problems. Flashing to the latest mainboard BIOS or turning off pretty much everything in the BIOS did not help either.

Thoughts? I Googled around & tried a few suggestions, but nada...

Ron,

I not only have SEEN that problem, I've lived it. There was a HORRENDOUS problem with the initial release of SP2 on Athlon64s. When I did an install on my current PC (see sig), I had the exact same problems as you describe. Did some googling, and found that there was some massive incompatibilities with the A64 and the EARLY releases of SP2. It didn't seem to affect all PCs that had the A64, but was likely some combination of BIOS and possibly hardware drivers. There was talk of either BIOS or SP2 updates - so I downgraded to SP1 for 5 months, and then tried again. Next time was smooth as silk, and I've been using it ever since.

I see you have already upgraded the BIOS, which would have been my first suggestion. Alternately, I have read that disabling the NVX (?) hardware security system (you know, the one that segregates data and code pages in memory) can fix it. AFAIK, you may be able to set that in Safe Mode - I haven't looked in a while.

Frankly, if you can't fix it easily, then I agree with Olaf, why bother? Assuming that you bill > $10/hr., the regular XP disk is probably going to cost your client less than your time to fix it...

Future Shock

Perhaps the Cicero XP w/ SP1 disk has some bundled software on it, like antivirus or cd burning stuff. Those are known to have problems with SP2. Try uninstalling those programs prior to SP2, or at least patch and upgrade them to ensure they are SP2 friendly.

Thanks for the help so far, fellas. Will I be able to activate XP if I use my XP disc to install with the serial key that belongs to the pc (i.e., sticker on box)?

Perhaps the Cicero XP w/ SP1 disk has some bundled software on it, like antivirus or cd burning stuff.  Those are known to have problems with SP2.  Try uninstalling those programs prior to SP2, or at least patch and upgrade them to ensure they are SP2 friendly.

212547[/snapback]

Checked that already. There's nothing listed in the Add/Remove applet :(

Perhaps the Cicero XP w/ SP1 disk has some bundled software on it, like antivirus or cd burning stuff.  Those are known to have problems with SP2.  Try uninstalling those programs prior to SP2, or at least patch and upgrade them to ensure they are SP2 friendly.

212547[/snapback]

Checked that already. There's nothing listed in the Add/Remove applet :(

212549[/snapback]

My problem turned to be ZoneAlarm firewall. I could post into safe mode, deinstall firewall and it was good. :)

I would suggest to update all drivers prior to SP2 install.

by

TheR

Thanks for the help so far, fellas. Will I be able to activate XP if I use my XP disc to install with the serial key that belongs to the pc (i.e., sticker on box)?

212548[/snapback]

Yes.

As long as your key is for the version of XP that you are installing (Home, Pro, etc.), it doesn't matter what disk you use.