Sign in to follow this  
typod

Disk Failure

Hi,

I hope someome out there can point me in the right direction. I have 2 SATA Seagate drives (1 x 160GB and 1 x 300GB). The OS is on the 300GB drive. The other day my PC crashed and I had to reset it. Windows started loading but just sat there at the Windows XP loading screen. Finally it errored with a Session failure message.

I swaped my drivers over and installed XP on my 160GB and booted from that, but I can't see the 300GB drive. Just before Windows login screen appears there is about a 30 second delay when I have the 300GB drive attached with constant activity on that drive. With it attached Windows loads instanty.

When I reboot my SATA controller card (HPT 374) shows both drives connected, and when I boot from a DOS disk and run Active NTFS Reader (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) I can see the drive and it's partitions.

None of the Windows based utils (R-Studio, etc) I have tried can see the disk.

Any suggestions would be good.

Cheers.

Hi,

I hope someome out there can point me in the right direction.  I have 2 SATA Seagate drives (1 x 160GB and 1 x 300GB).  The OS is on the 300GB drive.  The other day my PC crashed and I had to reset it.  Windows started loading but just sat there at the Windows XP loading screen.  Finally it errored with a Session failure message.

I swaped my drivers over and installed XP on my 160GB and booted from that, but I can't see the 300GB drive.  Just before Windows login screen appears there is about a 30 second delay when I have the 300GB drive attached with constant activity on that drive.  With it attached Windows loads instanty.

When I reboot my SATA controller card (HPT 374) shows both drives connected, and when I boot from a DOS disk and run Active NTFS Reader (http://www.ntfs.com/products.htm) I can see the drive and it's partitions.

None of the Windows based utils (R-Studio, etc) I have tried can see the disk.

Any suggestions would be good.

Cheers.

212120[/snapback]

I had the exact same stuff happen with my drive, also a Seagate 7200.8 300GB, over the weekend. I tried reghosting it, yet got the same stuff. ghost didn't seem to have any problems putting the info on the drive, but it won't operate with it. I still can't decide if it's software or hardware right now.

Smells fishy. I'd grab something like a Knoppix CD and have a look at what smartctl has to say about the offending drive (watch out for pending sectors in particular). Possibly something about the NTFS partition upsets Windows' NTFS driver, could also be an unreadable MBR/partition table. BTW, this would be an opportunity to reseat the SATA cables.

Smells fishy. I'd grab something like a Knoppix CD and have a look at what smartctl has to say about the offending drive (watch out for pending sectors in particular). Possibly something about the NTFS partition upsets Windows' NTFS driver, could also be an unreadable MBR/partition table. BTW, this would be an opportunity to reseat the SATA cables.

Cheers I am getting Knoppix now and I will give reseating the cables a go as well. Is there any way to recreate the MBR/Partition table under NTFS. I always used fdisk/mbr, but that was in the FAT days.

ok here's the thing and please don't all laugh at me. Firstly I am totally new to this strange unix world. I live with Windows and get used to things being in front of me.

I have downloaded and booted Knopper and even managed to run the smartctl util, but only on HDA (CDROM and not much use obviously) using smartctl -a /dev/hda. I can't figure out what command to run the util on my HDD's.

When I run the DMA Acceleration tool (this is the only way I could see too find what drives I have on my system) it lists my 2 drives as hdi and hdk, but /dev/hdi and /dev/hdk doesn't work.

The drives are attached to a HPT 374 SATA controller if that makes a differance.

Do I need to mount the drives?

Cheers

http://www.runtime.org/

This is a util that worked for me when all else failed. It runs in Windows and took about 2 hours to scan a half full Maxtor 300GB disk. I was able to see and copy my data to a new disk even though the partition was messed up. It's not free but the free tools did not work.

I have used Stellar Phoenix FAT & NTFS - data recovery software, when I was not able to access my hard drive, to recover my data. It has worked remarkably well for me, recovering 99% of data. I simply downloaded the demo version from here http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm. Through demo version I was able to see my recovered data. I would suggest to use this data recovery software.

Hello, I had the same problem and i could recover some files in the disk, but i could not recover office files, especially lost emails in Outlook 2010. Is there a good office recovery tool? I saw this software but I do not know anything about him.

Edited by Falcon8