Sign in to follow this  
sean

Notice to IBM: 120GXP POH (a consumer's response)

...and I really feel this needs to be said. IBM is handling this most recent GXP issue horribly. Rather than address consumer concerns, IBM has bullied and attacked hardware sites that promote IBM products and, worst yet, thousands of users, simply because consumers voiced legitimate concerns over a product. If IBM is to earn consumer's confidence, they have to first listen and then respond--not with an attack or on the defensive--but with honest answers. Consumer's only wish to have a good solid product that they can trust to store their valuable data reliably--I don't think that's asking too much.

If I were handling PR for IBM, my strategy would not be to attack anyone who raises criticisms; it would be to first show empathy and then address the issue honestly and forthright. I do have education and experience in PR, and let me tell you folks, Big-Blue is making mistake after mistake. The irony is that a fundamental of PR is to build "trust." Have they been successful thus far? ...you be the judge.

In the slim chance that their latest DeathStar 120GXP revealed to be reliable, this whole story at least had a good effect. I had the pleasant surprise to see that the price of IBM drives have drop to the level of the Seagate and Western Digital similar offerings (the D740X is still 10$ cheaper for the 40GB model here). I still wouldn't buy it though.

I see it as a kind of acknowledgement that IBM are no longer considered superior products to their rivals' offerings.

My IBM Deskstar 60 GXP drive is dead in the water. NTFS Format from Windows XP setup stops at 11%. I thought I had gotten in under the gun, being how the big trouble started at 75GXP.

I don't like "bashing" anyone, but I'm grateful that I only had accumulated about 2 weeks worth of data (I have another machine that's my "Old Faithful - P III ASUS P3V4X, that holds my critical stuff) on this machine, or I might have more choice words to express me discontent.

I haven't had a chance yet to run their Drive Fitness Test utility. I hope it fixes everything. Problems started when Ctrl+Alt+Del out of Windows XP startup. I'm hoping it was a :? "Dum Me" :? mistake, not something I can't fix.

But even if I do get the drive back, can I trust it? I might give it a go again...

I've had that happen to me, and for some weird reason, at reboot the BIOS thinks the hard drive is much smaller than it really is (wherever you stopped in format makes the "new" capacity). I had to reset the BIOS and unplug the drive to get it to acknowledge the true capacity.

It happened to a 75GXP.

Hi all,

I have four OEM IBM 75GXP deathstar hard drives and want to know what I can do to RMA them. Tried IBM and they don't want to do anything about it. Has anyone been able to RMA an OEM 75 GXP deathstar?

Jamie

And here we are approaching a year later, and the drives have a 57% percentile reliability rating, right up there with every other reliable drive. Just as reliable as any Maxtor, WD, or Seagate drive. :) Looks like things changed for the better from the 75/60GXP fiasco.

Okay. I am most assuredly not a fan of IBM, as some of you already know, but since it is my job to know about their drives, I DO have to stick up for them when it comes to the poh issue. It has been blown way out of porportion.

If you go to the specs of their previous drives (NOT the condensed versions that have only the limited specifications, but the actual tech manuals), you will see that all the IDE drive BEFORE the 120GXP had the same poh recommendations. If you check other drive mfrf, you will see they have the SAME spec for their IDE drives. But since it is a "recommendation" and not a spec that would, for example, cause a warranty to be denied, they don't HAVE to publish it. And for obvious reasons, they don't.

IBM finally published the spec. Without researching anything, a few people took it and ran, starting a sprint for the bandwagon.

My guess is that after the ongoing 75GXP disaster, IBM may have felt that giving the consumer as much information as possible would be a good idea. Meanwhile, other drive manufacturers still hide that figure. They do not have to publish it as a spec, because it is technically only a recommendation. Therefore, they're not lying, omitting or anything illegal.

For doubters, you can go to IBM's support page and look in their library at all the specs of all the drives. The other manufacturers also have tech manuals, and support numbers you can call.

I'm not saying their drives aren't garbage, I know I'd never buy another one, however when it comes to the poh spec, IBM is getting the short end of the stick because none of the other drive mfrs have a better spec - they are just not publishing it.

"Look before you leap"

I simply cannot grasp what the bunch of you are whining about. Yes, the 75 GXP was a horrible series. NO, the 60 and 120 GXP's are not of the same caliber. The recommended POH does not inspire trust but Maxtor announced an IDE drive rated for 24/24 7/7 operation. This strongly implies that one should not do this with it's other IDE drives. Some manufacturer started reducing warranty to one year. One can whine and complain about non-issues and make a fool out of oneself. I laugh :D

If you don't trust a given product, buy something else.

For the record, the 60 GXP and 120 GXP are no less reliable than any other drive. I can say this because we have dozens of PC's with those disks and none has had any problem as opposed to those using 75 GXP's a couple years back (35% failure rate or so)

What most people here don't realize is that as large as IBM is it is a company that has never really dealt with consumers and is totally oriented towards large corporations. They have no clue how to deal with consumers, never had and seriously doubt they ever will.

As a long time IBMer told me: "If IBM was in charge of drugs, gambling, firearms, booze and sex we wouldn't have any problem!..." They are pointless in regards to PR. I remember how surprised I used to be to see Compaq always getting the latest Intel cpus when IBM owned a large chunk of Intel. They were letting their competitor take the front seat and look as the most progressive company! They have fabulous R&D centers and have a long list of patents but know they are not fully taking advantage of it. They are a tech company run by bean counters who lack the vision necessary to make it into the really successful company it could be. People would cry if they knew of the missed opportunities IBM has simply ignored because the decision makers were not enough knowledgeable of the technical merits of what were presented to them.

--

Gilbert