Sign in to follow this  
Device Under Test

$41 Billion Cost Projected To Remove Illegal

$41 Billion Cost Projected To Remove Illegal Immigrants From USA

By Darryl Fears

Washington Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, July 26, 2005; Page A11

A new study by a liberal Washington think tank puts the cost of forcibly removing most of the nation's estimated 10 million illegal immigrants at $41 billion a year, a sum that exceeds the annual budget of the Department of Homeland Security.

More... http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...5072501605.html

Given that the source is a liberal think tank, I'm sure the study overestimates the cost. It's no secret that Democrats really don't want to do anything about illegal aliens. Indeed, they don't even see it as a problem. Senator Hillary actually wants to give illegal aliens the right to vote (no doubt because they would vote overwhelmingly Democratic). Also, cities like New York already lavish all sorts of welfare benefits on illegal aliens to the tune of hundreds of billions annually. Even if it really does cost $41 billion per year, which I doubt it would, you would save many times that in welfare and Medicaid costs.

I don't see why it's so hard to build a nice high wall at the Mexican and Canadian borders, complete with automated machine guns for anyone who tries to get across. Or better yet just set up mine fields a few hundred yards wide. It can't be that hard to keep out people we don't want. Additionally, heavily penalize with fines and jail time any person who hires an illegal alien, or othewise gives safe harbor to one. The reason our borders are porous is because big business wants to keep it that way. They love the $1 per hour labor even if their savings costs the taxpayers big time in handouts to people who shouldn't even be here.

P.S. Forget about amnesty to those already here. They broke the law to get in. Giving them amnesty is like a slap in the face to all those who came in legally. Send them back ASAP.

"I don't see why it's so hard to build a nice high wall at the Mexican and Canadian borders, complete with automated machine guns for anyone who tries to get across."

Yeah compared to 41 billion per year, the wall sounds good. :)

I would build the Mexican border wall first, many more problems then from Canada, anyway Canada / US border is the worlds largest unprotected border correct?

Edited by xSTLx

jtr,

The problem is that BUSINESS interests (read:Republicans) ALSO want the illegals in the US. Having a great influx of cheap labor, especially ones that can be hired without paying Social Security taxes and unemployment benefits to, are a great way to help businesses increase their profits.

You want to end illegal immagration? Simple - you don't need any walls, nor any armed patrols on the border.

You simply need to set unacceptably high punishments for HIRING illegal workers - say 5 years in a jail cell for the business owner or hiring manager that pays them. And then you need to ENFORCE that law, despite all the public outcries.

We wouldn't have an immegration problem within two years, after a few hundred business people had gone to jail and it was covered in the media.

The cost of sending those few hundred people to jail is nothing in comparison to all of the other proposed solutions...

Future Shock

FS: I suspect that that solution is more likely to result in having a lot of illegals on some form of state welfare.

Also, there will be larger economic impacts to such a move (as there will be to otherwise eliminating alien workers).

I don't know exactly where I stand on this issue, just pointing out complications.

"udaman: you arrogant, fascist, feminazi; you bleeding heart liberal, you sexist pig conservative, you are an alien, 'you sick happy fellow'..." hehe, etc. etc. Glad to know I'm so loved :P And what a party-pooper I am when I show just how lousy some of these arguments... um, 'factual' 'truths'??? are. LOL, your 15min attention spans don't really amount to much of that. Do some lengthy detailed research and and get back to me.

Nope BA, do some more research; it's a very complex problem the politicians, economists, and usual suspect pundits always disagree on.

Let's see here now, we get rid of all the Hispanic farmer workers (much of the work is done by machines today, but there's still plenty of 'hard labor' that no one else will do) and you're all prepared for US multinational agricultural giants moving the majority of their more profit orientated businesses to Chile, Central America (where they are already well established, I think it was Kraft or Dole that was importing strawberries from Guatemala on a small-scale, with workers who got paid 50 cents a day--- for backbreaking work in the fields all day long). The big companies still make the money, corporate stock holders make nice dividends; the jobs and facilities in California and other big agri states just go away... the states loose money, the federal government looses money. So you think you want to pay double or triple the cost of basic food items you take for granted right now? Go into an ethnic market, and buy only the expensive gourmet imported items for a month... that's how much you're going to pay for all of your food. Of course SuperCaffienated's relatively plush, so he can afford all of this, like the current going rate for Caspian Sea beluga caviar... $200/oz or well over $100 for a single teaspoon. Buying and original tin of 2.2kilos of Beluga will set you back a about the price of an new econobox car made in Korea(hehe, Chinese made cars are about to hit the US soon), but SC can afford it :).

Come back in 6months after you've studied the complex problems in more detail, then tell me something new. I could go well over 300 posts replying to all of these naive and ignorant POV's expressed here, but then I should be paid for such rigorous amounts of instruction that would be required to educate the masses of the uninformed, bigoted, biased, racists we have here, LOL

quoting a Reuters article, which was quoting an American Journal of Public Health published study.

Immigrants do not overwhelm US healthcare - study

Urban legends debunked?

Still in So. Cal. with all the uninsured Hispanic & black gang-bangers shooting each other, the few renaming Emergency room hospitals are in the red providing very expensive health care to these fools who would be better of left to die. Sure many could be rehabilitated, but that's part of a societal problem with the bottom of the food chain, employment issues.

The circumference of the US is more than 10,000 miles. I'd say building a fence/wall that large would cost quite a bit, to say nothing of maintaining the many necessary gates, and the fence/wall itself.

Even if you did that, illegals would just come in on chartered aircraft and boats, or dig tunnels under the more remote regions of the fence / wall. I agree with FS. Just raise the penalties and publicly embarass violators.

If people want to increase the number of immigrants there is a simple way to do this. Raise the quotas. Say that more mexicans can immigrate here. What kind of idiot would prefer to let random people in rather than screen them one by one?

We live under the rule of law. Illegal immigration is illegal. The government should enforce the law. If the law does not allow enough immigration, change the law. Of course, people who stand to benefit from the influx of immigrants are not typically in the majority, so they have difficulty changing the law in a democracy. One thing affluent americans can do however is simply refuse to make it a priority to enforce the letter of the law.

Rich people tend to benefit from illegal immigration. It increases competition at the lower levels of the employment food chain, and gives affluent people services at a lower cost. Who runs our government? Affluent people.

The failure to enforce our immigration laws is pure corruption, causing legitimate American citizens real economic damage everyday, and rewarding criminals for their crime.

The minutemen, are labelled "vigilantes" by the affluent politicians who have illegals as domestic workers.

FS, SC, and udaman all make some good points. However, let's not forget that probably within a generation, if not less, the economic role these immigrants play will be largely replaced by androids. If we keep letting large numbers in we will ultimately end up with a large group of people requiring government support essentially forever. As it is we'll have enough unemployment problems to deal with just among American citizens and legal immigrants when androids take over many of today's low-level jobs. No need to compound the problem by increasing immigration quotas or failing to enforce existing laws.

Yes, definitely heavily penalize anyone hiring illegals. I mentioned that in my first post in this thread. Also, heavily tax businesses offshoring operations to make the idea of using cheap labor overseas less appealing. In the long run these businesses are only shooting themselves in the foot by going with the cheapest labor. For starters, quality suffers. Second, while short-term profits may be up, long-term offshoring increases unemployment in the very market where these businesses make most of their money (i.e. the US). In 20 years exactly how much of their product will these businesses be able to sell in a country that will have 75% unemployment rates thanks largely to their offshoring? I for one am sick and tired of CEOs and politicians who can't think past the next quarter.

"It's no secret that Democrats really don't want to do anything about illegal aliens. Indeed, they don't even see it as a problem. Senator Hillary actually wants to give illegal aliens the right to vote (no doubt because they would vote overwhelmingly Democratic)."

Music to my ears. It is has if we are talking about Belgium here.

OK, my point of view (whether it is the U.S. or Belgium):

- keeping the illegal out of the country is a must

- even if this means paying more for your food AND clothes

- look at it like this: You let South-Americans in to do the jobs North-Americans refuse to do, BUT, this is only a temporary situation. The children of those immigrants will also refuse to do THAT job.

So what do we get. North-Americans refusing to do certain kinds of jobs AND alot of South-Americans, maybe already having the U.S. nationality, not wanting to do those jobs anymore either.

-Next step is : you will need more immigrants to do the jobs Americans and (in this case) Mexicans do not want to do. Those Mexicans will cost the U.S. a HUGE amount of money. Meanwhile you will be overloaded with Mexicans. States like California, Texas, Utah, Arizona will all be populated with Mexicans.

Maybe in some 20 years from now, you guys could take over our Morrocons.....oh i forgot, they do not like to work either.

Example: you know i know A**ot who came over from Azerbadjan, still looking for a decent job. When i ask him if he cannot find a job, he says:

"Yes, but i did not come over to Belgium to do a job like THAT".

"Even if you did that, illegals would just come in on chartered aircraft and boats, or dig tunnels under the more remote regions of the fence / wall. I agree with FS. Just raise the penalties and publicly embarass violators."

Yes SC, but if you would have a wall it would be less easy to come to the states. Also with boats it would be easier to control illegals, so the amount of them "coming to America" would be less.

On the other hand is a wall is out of the question, then good luck.

Do not forget that afterall those Mexicans are christian, which is a bonus.

"Do not forget that afterall those Mexicans are christian, which is a bonus."

I will say that about the Mexicans they have moved into and repaired some bombed out ghetto in the inner city and saved the doomed 200+ year old beautiful Catholic churches here in Saint Louis. :)

To me this is a good thing.

Edited by xSTLx

Given that the source is a liberal think tank, I'm sure the study overestimates the cost.  It's no secret that Democrats really don't want to do anything about illegal aliens.  Indeed, they don't even see it as a problem.  Senator Hillary actually wants to give illegal aliens the right to vote (no doubt because they would vote overwhelmingly Democratic).  Also, cities like New York already lavish all sorts of welfare benefits on illegal aliens to the tune of hundreds of billions annually.  Even if it really does cost $41 billion per year, which I doubt it would, you would save many times that in welfare and Medicaid costs.

211765[/snapback]

Its also worth noting that President Dubya wants to give them amnesty as well. His party likes them because they work for really cheap. There are very few politicians out there who truly want to solve the illegal immigration problem.

Yes the same old tired arguments, and the democrats like them here because they vote democrat yada yada yada, we have been through this oh maybe 100 times, lets take politics out of it and talk about the real problem and solutions.

"I will say that about the Mexicans they have moved into and repaired some bombed out ghetto in the inner city and saved the doomed 200+ year old beautiful Catholic churches here in Saint Louis."

Well, too bad it wheren't Muslims......Ho, i forget, then they would make moskees of it.... :P

(it's a joke guys)

Jeff