Mike_T

Seagate 7200.9 ETA?

Yeah, I highly doubt there's a 40gb version of the 7200.9. Its either 3x133GB platters or 4x125gb so even if they did a single headed drive it'd be a minimum of 60GB.

Of course the manufacturers have gotten into the habit of shipping drives that are part of the same "family" but have different platter densities...

215720[/snapback]

According to THIS, there will be a 160GB version. I'd be willing to bet this will be a one platter design. It wouldn't make economic sense for Seagage to release this as a two platter drive.

160GB per platter... Mmmm :)

This would set the stage for next years 640GB model. (4x160 platter)

Since I can't edit my post for some reason, here is the update:

According to THIS, there will be a 160GB version. I'd be willing to bet this will be a one platter design. It wouldn't make economic sense for Seagage to release this as a two platter drive. As far as the 120GB model goes, I would think this is a short-stroked 160GB platter as well. And the 80GB model as a single-sided version of the 160GB platter. My point is, I bet they're all 160GB platters, some just short-stroked to hit a nice, round number for retail. Comments?

160GB per platter... Mmmm :)

This would set the stage for next years 640GB model. (4x160 platter)

Edited by Mojoed

About 20 7200.9's turned up at my shop today, all 80gb models. According to the distie, they are a 160gb platter drive with only a single side used.

They expect many more to come into stock in a variety of sizes over the next few weeks.

The press release claims up to 500GB. If Seagate sticks to 3 platters, that would be 167GB per platter in the top model, which should produce sustained transfer rates approaching that of a 15k.4. 4x125 would be slower than a current 400GB model.

Of course, if history is any guide, it will also boast an average seek time no better than some drives from 1995 (claimed seek time is actually slower than the 7200.8). However the locality of data on such large drives probably means track-to track seek is lots more useful than average seek. Alas no common benchmark measures this, leaving us with unreliable manufacturer claims.

The Seagate part number is ST3500641AS for the 500GB drive. Some sites say it is 8mb cache, SATA150. Others say the exact same model number is 16mb cache, SATA300. I believe the latter spec is true for all drives that are model number ST3500641AS. Because the drive is so new, some stores do not have accurate descriptions. The Seagate site does not yet have that model number listed. I just ordered two of them.

Edited by Carlton Bale

The Seagate part number is ST3500641AS for the 500GB drive.  Some sites say it is 8mb cache, SATA150.  Others say the exact same model number is 16mb cache, SATA300.  I believe the latter spec is true for all drives that are model number ST3500641AS.  Because the drive is so new, some stores do not have accurate descriptions.  The Seagate site does not yet have that model number listed.  I just ordered two of them.

216121[/snapback]

I’ve discovered that some, if not all PATA 7200.7/8’s, came with AAM enabled (maybe some SATA too), resulting in super quiet drives. I’m wondering what the situation will be for the 7200.9’s, so please do tell us how quiet it is.

Pardon my total noob-acy here (:rolleyes:), but do these things support the full host of SATA-2 technologies we're looking for? I know it supports NCQ... the feature I'm most interested in is the ability to support multiple drives on a single channel/chain/port, whatever the SATA "bus" is properly called.

And whats the final platter size? I see drives for 40, 80, 120, 160 and 500GB... I dont even know where to wager a guess here. It looks like they're using different platter sizes.... 160 and 100 gb. I certainly hope those arent actually 80 gb platters, considering the 7200.8 is 133GB platters. I have to confess a mild disappointment if the best we see from 7200.9 is 5x100, although I look forward to seeing how the 160 -> 500 GB range in the line fills out.

I cant wait to see how this beast stacks up agains the MaXLine III... Not that I actually care. Considering the 5 year warranty its hardly a choice.

I'm so excited! :lol::D:lol: Please forgive my obvious over-enthusiasm.

Rektide

I'm interested in the 300GB model since it makes less noise than the 400GB/500GB one, to replace my 160GB 7800.7

Do u think it has 2x160GB or 3x133?

I'm interested in the 300GB model since it makes less noise than the 400GB/500GB one, to replace my 160GB 7800.7

Do u think it has 2x160GB or 3x133?

216281[/snapback]

I don't now. Seagate 160 GB Barracuda 7200.9 ST3160812AS 8MB Serial ATA II has ONE platter for sure.

Pardon my total noob-acy here (:rolleyes:), but do these things support the full host of SATA-2 technologies we're looking for?  I know it supports NCQ...  the feature I'm most interested in is the ability to support multiple drives on a single channel/chain/port, whatever the SATA "bus" is properly called.

216271[/snapback]

The only feature close to what you're describing (that I know of) would be support for port expanders. Its a seperate device you can connect to your SATA host bus adapter and turn that single port into many (kind of like a network switch).

"SATA 2" drives aren't dual port so there's no chance you could daisy chain them if that's what you were thinking.

Will be interested to see if they got rid of those annoying offline seeks. I'm really interested in getting the 300GB model for my new rig as I wasn't all that thrilled with the prospect of a Maxtor as my primary drive and up until now only they had offered the 16MB cache with NCQ.

Will be interested to see if they got rid of those annoying offline seeks.  I'm really interested in getting the 300GB model for my new rig as I wasn't all that thrilled with the prospect of a Maxtor as my primary drive and up until now only they had offered the 16MB cache with NCQ.

216291[/snapback]

I have a bunch of 7200.8's and have yet to hear an offline seek... I can hear them seek, but it's no where near as annoying as my Hitachi's occasional chirp-click.

For this HDD, ZZF is actually cheaper than Newegg by $13 ($399 compared to $412) and of course with FREE 2 day shipping: http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetai...ductCode=101546

216216[/snapback]

Cheapest place I found for the 500GB drives is PageComputers at $354 (pay state tax in CA and IN only).

http://newsite.pagecomputers.com/store/Pro...9F5C79B6837CEBE

From Anandtech: "The 160GB platter has only gone into the 80GB drive, which uses a single side and single head, and the 160GB drive, which uses both sides of the platter with 2 heads. The 400GB model still uses its original three 133GB platter design that was implemented in the 7200.8, while the new 500GB drive uses four 125GB platters."

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2559&p=2

It's also available for the same $399 from Computers4Sure/TechOnWeb (Office Depot subsidiaries) - However, my order is in with ZipZoomFly. I've never done biz with Page Computers, and could not reach them to find out ship-time, nor did they respond to my email. ZZF has been extremely reliable, so I stuck with them. It should be available from Provantage during this week @ $370. I've ordered from them a ton of times and they're always great to deal with and fast shippers.

Mike

About 20 7200.9's turned up at my shop today, all 80gb models. According to the distie, they are a 160gb platter drive with only a single side used.

They expect many more to come into stock in a variety of sizes over the next few weeks.

216043[/snapback]

Did you get a chance to check out what the STR graphs look like on any of them?

Guest 888

You can find the number of platters in Seagate's Barracuda 7200 every Model Number!

It is the second digit reading from the right. In example:

Barracuda 7200.9 SATA 500GB model ST3500641AS ... has 4 platters

Similarly, the third digit from right indicates the cache size:

6 - for 16 MB

8 - for 8 MB

2 - for 2 MB

Some 7200.7 series models are exceptions:

0 - both for 8 and 2 MB

Does anyone actually have the 500gb 7200.9 yet?

I'm VERY curious to hear some real user feedback.

Noise levels, random chirps, STR, etc.

:P

Does anyone actually have the 500gb 7200.9 yet?

I'm VERY curious to hear some real user feedback.

Noise levels, random chirps, STR, etc.

:P

216672[/snapback]

I have two installed in a RAID 1 array. They are very quiet; I can't hear them over the fan noise and I can't hear them spin-up even with the case open. I can, however, hear them during seeks. Click, click, click. It is muted, but noticeable. I wish I knew how to enable the acoustic management or what ever it is called. They would be just about silent then. Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?