EoRaptor

So I'm building a File Server

Work has finally approved a new file server, so I'm now going to go ahead and buy the parts. It's going to be the file server for a small publishing company of about 25 people, and mostly needs to store the design departments ever larger files. I thought I'd try to save myself some grief and ask if anybody had any salient advice about what I've chosen before I finalize the order.

AMD Athlon 64 3000

DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D

2 GB PC3200

Areca or Tekram ARC-1220

6x Seagte 7200.8 250GB SATA drives.

SUPERMICRO SC832T-550

Video would be either PCIe or PCI, I have spares of both already. I don't care about performance as long as it works.

Operating system would be Windows 2003, as I plan to use part of this server for some SQL Server prototyping. Extremely light duty.

I really only have 2 questions.

1. I've left room to expand the storage array with 4 more drives, up to 10 total (8 on the arc-1220 and 2 onboard for the o/s). Can the 550w power supply drive all that without issue? The 760 watt version of the case is $450Cdn more expensive, which is a hefty price jump.

2. Can anybody tell me of a place to buy either the Tekram or Areca ARC-1220 in Canada? I don't mind ordering from the states, but I'd prefer something more local. I'm in Toronto, if more narrowing down is needed. Mostly this is for faster turnaround and peace of mind.

The RAID card is going to be PCI-e, I hope? (unless you're not worried about disk performance being limited by the PCI 32/33 bus?)

550W ATX12V 2.0 power supply should handle 12 drives fine.

The RAID card is going to be PCI-e, I hope? (unless you're not worried about disk performance being limited by the PCI 32/33 bus?)

550W ATX12V 2.0 power supply should handle 12 drives fine.

211228[/snapback]

Thanks for the assurance about the power supply. It looked fine on paper, but I don't want to have to try to upgrade it later.

Also, the 12x0 series of Arc cards are PCIe, so yes, it's going in one of the PCIe slots. Whether I use it with a PCIe video card in 8x+8x mode or just use a PCI video card, I haven't decided. The Arc 11x0 series is PCI-X.

AMD Athlon 64 3000

DFI Lanparty UT Ultra-D

2 GB PC3200

Areca or Tekram ARC-1220

6x Seagte 7200.8 250GB SATA drives.

SUPERMICRO SC832T-550

I recently upgrade my own fileserver with:

AMD Athlon64 3000+

ASUS A8N-SLI

2 x 512MB PC3200

Areca ARC-1220

4 x Seagate 7200.8 300GB SATA

[ leaving space for 4x 400GB/500GB/1TB??! ]

Asus EN6200TC GeForce 6200 PCIe

I had:

Lian Li PC-76

Antec True550

2 x Promise SX6000

2 x 6 RAID5 .. disks of different sizes..

2 disk for system and misc. files

Video would be either PCIe or PCI, I have spares of both already. I don't care about performance as long as it works.

Operating system would be Windows 2003, as I plan to use part of this server for some SQL Server prototyping. Extremely light duty.

I really only have 2 questions.

1. I've left room to expand the storage array with 4 more drives, up to 10 total (8 on the arc-1220 and 2 onboard for the o/s). Can the 550w power supply drive all that without issue? The 760 watt version of the case is $450Cdn more expensive, which is a hefty price jump.

2. Can anybody tell me of a place to buy either the Tekram or Areca ARC-1220 in Canada? I don't mind ordering from the states, but I'd prefer something more local. I'm in Toronto, if more narrowing down is needed. Mostly this is for faster turnaround and peace of mind.

211215[/snapback]

As you can see I've almost the same config as you do except for the 2xPromise RAIDs + 12 disks. That's well over the 10 disks you want in your config, all powered by the Antec 550 watt PSU. I use Debian 2.6.x.

211228[/snapback]

What does it matter if the file server is limited to PCI 32-bit bandwidths? I would think 1-Gbit ethernet is going to still be the bottleneck between the workstations and this server.

Sorry, not adding anything constructive to the discussion, just arguing :)

Hmmm. Doesn't look bad as a basis for a gaming machine.

www.ibm.com

www.hp.com

even www.dell.com

You'll find vastly better systems there.

Hmmm.  Doesn't look bad as a basis for a gaming machine.

www.ibm.com

www.hp.com

even www.dell.com

You'll find vastly better systems there.

211432[/snapback]

Eh, his idea seems all right for a white box storage server. He has an Areca PCIe RAID card and a decent chasis. He's not overkilling on the CPU either. Now, if he had listed SLI Geforce 6800 Ultras and a sound card, I'd call it a gaming machine.

Dell would cost way more than his setup and probably wouldn't be any faster. If he can live with a little downtime if a part fails, then his system is fine.

I don't understand people who think tey can buikd a decent server. There's more than buying parts with nice specs.

I don't understand people who think tey can buikd a decent server.  There's more than buying parts with nice specs.

211497[/snapback]

What's a Dell, really? Just a collection of decent and not so decent parts. The big difference between a Dell and what he's doing is the support contract. If he doesn't need or want one, then he doesn't need a Dell (or HP or IBM or whatever) and a white box will serve him fine and save him a lot of money.

In the end, a server is just a computer.

Yes, but why put a gaming motherboard into a server system? Why not choose something better known for stability than for how many little options got tossed onto it for all the people that want the latest/greatest? How about looking into a Tyan or SuperMicro board? (yes, SuperMicro does make AMD boards).

I don't understand people who think tey can buikd a decent server.  There's more than buying parts with nice specs.

211497[/snapback]

In the end, a server is just a computer.

211527[/snapback]

Exactly......a computer....not just a collection of parts picked off the web and assembled, but rather a complete unit that's been extensively tested as a whole. I've done it both ways......assembled and purchased, and 9/10 it's the whitebox that's the quirky machine. I don't like servers to be quirky....i like them to be dull, and very boring :-)

-Chris

What's a Dell, really? Just a collection of decent and not so decent parts. The big difference between a Dell and what he's doing is the support contract. If he doesn't need or want one, then he doesn't need a Dell (or HP or IBM or whatever) and a white box will serve him fine and save him a lot of money.

It's not just a collection of parts. Service and support are vital. As has been said so many times in other threads, who's going to support it when the IT guy is on holiday? Who says you'll find a replacement part two years from now in an acceptible time? A white box machine will serve quite well - until something breaks. Then it's hell to support.

i like them to be dull

I like them to be IBM

Or did you really mean dull instead of Dell? ;)