Sign in to follow this  
Shining Arcanine

Are 600GB Hard Drives out?

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/14/technolo...=rssnyt&emc=rss

Fortunately, the drive maker, Western Digital, agreed to pick up the recovery cost. Ms. Shechtman now keeps multiple copies on two 200-gigabyte drives and one 600-gigabyte internal drive.

While this is yet another reason for me to buy Western Digital hard drives, I don't understand how she can have a 600GB internal hard drive. Has Seagate or Hitachi released one yet?

Yeah there is a mistake there. She probably has 2 300 gig drives in raid 0 and they checked her specs and since she did not know the difference they thought it was one 600 gig drive, the other possibility is that they had a typo and they mean a 600 gig external drive, like the ones from Seagate and others that are just 2 300 gig drives combined in one enclosure and operated as a single 600 gig drive. Just a couple thoughts. :)

she must be doing something wrong because she had 5 out 6 of her drives replaced within a year, that's like 83% failure rate.

Edited by wfn

From the article:

For those customers who can wait up to seven days, recovery tops out at $2,700 for a drive up to 600 gigabytes. For one- to two-day turnaround, expect to pay $900 to $3,900. When nothing can be recovered - typically when drives cannot spin or data has been overwritten - DriveSavers charges a $200 inspection fee.

It sounds like the 600 gig figure is an arbitrary payment set point for DriveSavers. They probably picked a capacity that they could grow into...

FS

Wow, I for $2700, I would hope DriveSavers could recover data from a drive that won't spin... A local data recovery company (one that is used by local police departmments,) claims they can recover data from the individual, fire-warped platters if need be.

"But even that is not necessarily a fail-safe strategy. "Out of six drives I've bought, five have been replaced, and the longest lasted only one year," she said"

More than likely she was turned into a Demon by the failures of WD and enslaved them in her fiery pit until they gave in..