azev

event id 51 with external USB drives

Just finished building my own USB2.0 external drive using Kingwin External USB2.0 enclosure and Maxtor 250Gig drive.

I set the drive jumper to Master on my first try and I come up with the error whenever transfering multiple files at once.

I then set the jumper back to the original (CS) and it was working a little longer before the error come up and the whole computer just crash.

Third try, I pull all the jumper on the drive which should set it up as secondary, and the same thing happened.

You can see the drive led stop all of a sudden in the middle of transfer, and you know your computer crashed. Any ideas what could cause this? the drive are brand new and I dont think it was the drive which was faulty. Try search online for help, but I cant find much about this topic anywhere.

Any help from you guys are appreciated.

Thanks

ok, I plug it in on another computer with only usb1.1 and transfer about 1000 files, 20gig in total size with no problem. Slow as hell, but works. Right now I am trying borrowing my neighbour laptop with usb2 and do some transfer test to see.

I wonder if my newly bought USB2.0 card is faulty ? Maybe I've been looking at the wrong stuff afterall, maybe it is my USB card that is bad.

Or the USB cable. Which OS are you using? XP should load it's own drivers for USB 2.0 controllers. I don't use thrid party drivers for any USB chipset with XP and they always seem to work just fine.

It sounds like you might have a compatibility problem between your USB 2.0 Host controller and the Bridge chip in the USB Hard drive. I have run into similar problems with IEEE 1394 hard drives. And changing to a different host adapter fixed the problem.

You should also check and see if there are any firmware updates for your motherboard and USB host adapter.

You could also try to move you USB host adapter to a different PCI slot in your computer.

What USB host adapter are you using?

What OS and what service pack are you using?

I have recently switched from a 320gb Seagate disk to a 500gb WD disk on an external USB enclosure and I'm now getting $MFT write problems and general failures working with the drive (eventid 51) etc

I'm guessing perhaps this problem is due to some controllers not liking some disks.

I'm tempted to change some jumpers on the disk, see if I can run it in a slower SATA1 mode perhaps?

Write caching is already disabled :( (optomise for quick removal)