Sign in to follow this  
Nox

Hard drive syncronisation

Hi,

Sorry that first post is asking something, but does anyone know of any software (windows or linux based) that will syncronise my external USB HD with a specific partition on my PC whilst retaining the file structure.

Nox

Well, Ghost 9.0 will support NTFS, FAT32, Linux EXT2, and Linux EXT3.

Edited by Trinary

Greetings,

Well, by "synchronization" I assume you meant "file synchronization".

Ghost is a disk imaging application. It'll certainly store your files while preserving the directory structure, but it's more appropriate for whole-partition (or whole-disk) backups. You can use Ghost for cloning a partition (or disk) from one source to another, which would achieve what you're hoping to do here. However, it would have to be done an *entire* disk or an *entire* partition at a time.

However, Ghost does this in DOS mode, meaning that your computer will be tied up during the process.

If you simply want to synchronize two folders (with all subfolders, if desired) while under Windows, there are a whole number of shareware/commercial file synchronization programs out there. One I happen to like using is Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) mainly because it also has a file comparison utility (supports binary comparisons), though there are plenty others out there. The advantage of a file synchronization utility such as Beyond Compare (vs Ghost, which is a disk imager) in this sense is that it updates files much more quickly (and possibly more easily, too).

Hope this helps.

-thetaomega

Well, Ghost 9.0 will support NTFS, FAT32, Linux EXT2, and Linux EXT3.

210384[/snapback]

I suggest Ghost 2003 over the newer 9.0.

Ghost is not a suitable option, it will not work when two different files have been changed, one on the external drive, the other on the local partition. I also don't want to have to reboot my PC and leave it imaging every day when i've only changed one or two files, and be limited to changing them on one drive. Ghost is a great system backup/restore tool.

If you simply want to synchronize two folders (with all subfolders, if desired) while under Windows, there are a whole number of shareware/commercial file synchronization programs out there.  One I happen to like using is Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) mainly because it also has a file comparison utility (supports binary comparisons), though there are plenty others out there.  The advantage of a file synchronization utility such as Beyond Compare (vs Ghost, which is a disk imager) in this sense is that it updates files much more quickly (and possibly more easily, too).

Hope this helps.

-thetaomega

210411[/snapback]

That looks pretty much spot on. I'll give the trial a go tonight and purchase it if it works!

Thanks

Nox

You should check if there is any software from the drive manufacture to do that, I know my kingston USB memory stick has a little utility to sync it once it is connected.

I actually like to keep the 2 synced all the time so i use a program called FolderClone which you can tell it to sync every few mins.

I also use a program called Backup Magic which you can set to Mirror any drive folder to another.

Ghost is not a suitable option, it will not work when two different files have been changed, one on the external drive, the other on the local partition.  I also don't want to have to reboot my PC and leave it imaging every day when i've only changed one or two files, and be limited to changing them on one drive.  Ghost is a great system backup/restore tool.

If you simply want to synchronize two folders (with all subfolders, if desired) while under Windows, there are a whole number of shareware/commercial file synchronization programs out there.  One I happen to like using is Beyond Compare (www.scootersoftware.com) mainly because it also has a file comparison utility (supports binary comparisons), though there are plenty others out there.  The advantage of a file synchronization utility such as Beyond Compare (vs Ghost, which is a disk imager) in this sense is that it updates files much more quickly (and possibly more easily, too).

Hope this helps.

-thetaomega

210411[/snapback]

That looks pretty much spot on. I'll give the trial a go tonight and purchase it if it works!

Thanks

Nox

210424[/snapback]

Ah, then is what you are really looking for is something that will take the "newer" files from both your external drive and your partition and copy the newest from each one to the other?

If so, then you definitely need something that works at the file level.

Your original post made it sound like you were only interested in synchronizing the external drive to the drive in your system.

Ah, then is what you are really looking for is something that will take the "newer" files from both your external drive and your partition and copy the newest from each one to the other?

210452[/snapback]

yep :) I'll take a look at folder clone too, see which I prefer (and is cheaper!!)

Your original post made it sound like you were only interested in synchronizing the external drive to the drive in your system.

210452[/snapback]

oops, sorry about that - i knew what I wanted in my head though! - need more psychic guru's I guess :D

Nox

sounds like you need an "rsync"-like tool.

cwrsync should do the job nicely. You would merely need to schedule it to run as often as you need to sync any new (or the changes within any existing) files.

We use Double-Take (www.nsisoftware.com) successfully in a production environment to replicate the changes from 1 terabyte volume to another over a 100mbit link.