The Belgain

Linux software RAID5 over 2 controllers

I'm currently running a 4-disk Linux software RAID5 array with all 4 drives on a 4-port Highpoint Rocket 1540 SATA controller. I want to add more drives to the array, and am planning on just getting a second identical controller (they're cheap, work well, and have source available for their Linux drivers) to connect the extra drives to.

Are there going to any issues with this, or will it be ok? I'll be using EVMS with the MD plugin to control these, and am running the 2.4.26 kernel (on Slackware 10.0). I can't imagine there'd be any trouble with this, but just wanted to check first...

Thanks.

Watchout for the 2.4 kernel.

I together with some others on this board (see this post) have had data corruption issues spanning a linux software raid5 array across multiple controllers.

My advice is to stick to 2.6.newest, that will also give you a nice performance boost.

Best Regards

Theis

I found corruption issues when using multiple controllers (my thread linked above) with RAID 5 on different motherboards and controllers on both 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, RAID 0 and RAID 4 worked fine though so I assume it has to be something with Linux and they way it works in RAID5.

I haven't grown a RAID5 array, but there are a few threads here that have helped other people to grow their's, might try searching for further info on that.

I have software RAID 5 spread over 8 ports on a 3Ware controller, 2 Promise cards, and one onboard motherboard IDE port... all with the 2.6 series kernels. They're merged into 2 RAID 5 arrays, then LVM stitches both arrays together to make one big ReiserFS filesystem.

No corruption issues so far: even surviving many power failures etc. I did have problems with a couple drives occasionally dropping out the the array.. but they tested OK, so I'd just merge them back in. It turned out to be flakey power Y cables.. after replacing them it's been fine for months.

So, at least with the 2.6 series... I'm using at least 3 differnet chipsets spread over 3 cards and my motherboard, and it works fine. You shouldn't have any problems.

Regards,

Rox