Sign in to follow this  
opq

Soldering Jacks?

Hi, I'm doing a soldering replacement for my Apple PowerBook's headphones jack. I ordered a broken motherboard of the same PB off eBay and saw that it has 5-6 soldering points like

-    -
    -
- - -

With capacitors, I heated one side and pushed the rest out, but that won't be possible with this, right? How would I go about doing this?

Thanks!

(P.S. my existing one has a bad sensor that makes my PB mute because it thinks headphones are plugged in even if they arent and Apple is asking for US$500 + $100 labor for replacing the board).

I have luck with the desolder tape and the desolder pumps. I prefer the pump but the tape is much cheaper. If you do it quickly the plastic should be fine and it shoulden't hurt the board, be sure to use a low heat gun anyway.

I have a pump. But according to someone Apple has used Silver-based solder. When I heat it with my iron, it just bubbles but doesnt come loose. Is the boiling point of these solders higher compraed to traditional lead based sodler?

Yeah the silver requires higher temperatures. The bubbling is the flux getting hot in the middle and becoming liquid then coming out the open end of the solder. Lead should be just fine, the higher temperature gun needed could cause damage if used incorrectly.