opq

RAID Chipsets

Hi, just wondering, I know that if I plug a single HDD onto my Socket 370 MSI motherboard's RAID controller, format it and use it on a standard IDE channel, it won't read. This is because of the manufacturer independent code, right?

But say I have a Promise onboard controller, and if I do a RAID 1, and the onboard controller fails, what can I do to get my data back? Can I use a PCI Promise controller? would those have the same algorithms for RAID?

Chances are that you can use a disk that was on a RAID controller on a non-RAID controller, even the surviving part of a mirror might be usable.

If you are using RAID 1, then you will probably be able to read the data just fine on a standard IDE controller.

This is because RAID 1 mirroring does not entail anything besides writing the data to two independent disks. There are no special parity calculations or esoteric means of providing fault tolerance involved.

It's only when you're using hardware RAID that uses parity where you may have issues on being able to access your data properly on different controllers.

Edited by Trinary

even the surviving part of a mirror might be usable.

I had an adaptec 3410S die a few weeks/months ago, with 4 Cheetah X15-36lp's on it, on two raid1 volumes.

Luckily, I was able to plug a drive into an old Adaptec 2940U2W, and then copy the data off onto the new replacement 3ware raid.