gmcdougal

Harddrive reads too much

ever since i installed this maxtor diamondmax 10 with 16 meg of cache,it seems like it reads too much for simple stuff,like loading a webpage,or bringing up the start menu.i dont think i should be hearing it read as hard as it does.my old western digital never did all that.any fix for this guys?my system specs are below.

Msi k8t neo-fsr

Athlon 64 3000

1 gig corsair ram

Windows Xp Pro

Reading is Fundamental

:P

Couldn't resist.

Did you change your partitioning scheme? Is your pagefile getting fragmented moreso with the new drive than the old?

The "reading" you hear could be Maxtor's implementation of keeping the head moving to reduce lubrication displacement and wear over the same area of the disk surface. Is that "tribology"? or something?

Either it needs a defrag or the seeks are just louder than the WDs were. If the seek noise is objectionable you can use a utility to adjust the AAM to quiet them.

Many of the more recent Maxtor drives implement a "patrol seek" to keep the heads from lingering in one spot too long. This improves the reliability of the drive, but it means the drive will initiate it own seeks even if the computer system is idle.

Without being able to hear what you're hearing, it's not possible to say this is actually what's going on. The Patrol Seek doesn't run at a particularly high rate compared to the IO a running App would initiate, so the issue your describing sounds more like a system configuration effect than a drive issue.

The drive has 16 MB cache, so it must cache more (=read more) than 8 MB model. :lol:

OK, maybe this doesn't hold water, since (AFAIK) the caching is related to physical caching instead of file caching. (The drive just fills the cache from the same track/cylinder, so no seeking involved.)

Experiment with AAM.

Cheers,

Jan

Did you make any changes to your windows temp file? Should you have?

FS

evry drive and every brand has their own ways of algorithrm seeks and caching. its the way they write the code to do whatever they think best or even optimize fully the size cache.

and they may be tuning it here and there.

Does the 'extra reading' actually slow things down?

Is it something that you only hear, or does the HD light blink as well?

I'd imagine if it were something like a "patrol seek" the light would not blink. But I could be wrong.