bitequator

Can't FAT32 format 60GB 1.8" USB drive

Thanks to other forum members here I bought the Hitachi Travelstar C4K60 which is a 60GB HDD (1.8" formfactor with ATA connector), along with a USB enclosure:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?...ndpost&p=208655

But now I have a problem with formatting it. I've tried on several WinXP (command-line format) and Win2K computers, but I cannot seem to format this drive with FAT32. I keep getting an error about volume size being too big. I can create the (single primary) partition just fine though.

The drive is recognized as having 57,224MB capacity, and I've tried both the "default" allocation cluster size and specifically setting a 32K cluster size, but it never works. I can format it successfully with NTFS, but I want FAT32!

I'm wondering if the problem is:

- general FAT32 format problem for that capacity

- the Travelstar HDD having nonstandard sector configuration (?)

- a failing of the 1.8" aluminum USB enclosure I bought from InsideComputer

Can anyone please help?

Edited by bitequator

Oh really?? That's unfortunate, but thanks much for the info :( I'll have to find an old Win98/ME box to do the job I guess.

Why, Microsoft, why... I can't believe I never knew this.

Edited by bitequator

Thanks to other forum members here I bought the Hitachi Travelstar C4K60 which is a 60GB HDD (1.8" formfactor with ATA connector), along with a USB enclosure:

But now I have a problem with formatting it.  I've tried on several WinXP (command-line format) and Win2K computers, but I cannot seem to format this drive with FAT32.  I keep getting an error about volume size being too big.  I can create the (single primary) partition just fine though.

The drive is recognized as having 57,224MB capacity, and I've tried both the "default" allocation cluster size and specifically setting a 32K cluster size, but it never works.  I can format it successfully with NTFS, but I want FAT32!

Can anyone please help?

208925[/snapback]

But now I have a problem with formatting it.  I've tried on several WinXP (command-line format) and Win2K computers, but I cannot seem to format this drive with FAT32.  I keep getting an error about volume size being too big.  I can create the (single primary) partition just fine though.

The drive is recognized as having 57,224MB capacity, and I've tried both the "default" allocation cluster size and specifically setting a 32K cluster size, but it never works.  I can format it successfully with NTFS, but I want FAT32!

Can anyone please help?

208925[/snapback]

208930[/snapback]

should be able to boot from win 98 boot disk in xp or 2000,run fdisk and then format

Oh really??  That's unfortunate, but thanks much for the info :(  I'll have to find an old Win98/ME box to do the job I guess.

Why, Microsoft, why...  I can't believe I never knew this.

208929[/snapback]

If finding such a box is an issue, why are you formatting as FAT32 anyway?

Oh really??  That's unfortunate, but thanks much for the info :(  I'll have to find an old Win98/ME box to do the job I guess.

Why, Microsoft, why...  I can't believe I never knew this.

208929[/snapback]

If finding such a box is an issue, why are you formatting as FAT32 anyway?

208944[/snapback]

I don't know what his reasons are, but I had to convert an external drive from NTFS to FAT32 so I could copy files onto my sister's powerbook. If you're doing stuff in the Mac world, stick with FAT32.

^ What he said :) Basically when using a portable USB drive I'd never know what 3rd-party computer I might have to hook it up with, and FAT32 seems a good choice to ensure the most compatibility with various OSes (Win, Mac, Linux, etc)?

I do love the size of this 1.8"-based USB drive though. And at 60GB it's even larger than my old 40GB 2.5"-based USB drive. My friend is using a huge Maxtor 3.5"-based USB drive (which requires a power adapter to boot), and I just love to show him up, haha :D

What would be even more perfect is if this USB enclosure comes with a built-in, retractable USB cable...

P.S. I've also seen the various prepackaged USB drives based on 1" HDD (from Seagate, etc), those look even smaller, but capacity is too small...

Edited by bitequator

All is well, thanks again. I still have an AMD K6-III 550MHz box running Win98SE, which (after installing the driver) was able to recognize and successfully format this USB drive using FAT32 :)

What's strange is that I did a full format but it went really quickly on this Win98SE box (only a minute or two). Whereas my previous attempts at FAT32 formatting on the WinXP/2K boxes took much longer each time if I chose full format instead of quick format (and it would only give me the "volume size too big" error at the end of the format process, which was annoying).

Sorry I couldn't reply earlier, but you can easily create large FAT32 volumes in Win2K / WinXP using C'T Magazine's h2format tool. You can find it here:

http://www.heise.de/ct/ftp/ctsi.shtml

Best regards,

JD

Hi Joy Division,

I have installed h2format tool ( a flash of dos windows ) . Then What should I do? Format dos command??

Format j: /fs:fat32

Sorry as I am unable to get you

Thanks

Have you tried to divide it into 2 partitions and the format each?

Wouldn't that be... silly?