Sign in to follow this  
amdoverclocker2

Rack Mount SATA Case

I need to find a SATA rackmount case that will hold a ton of drives. I dont need it to hold a motherobard/cpu just have some way of getting the data to another server. I am not sure how they do it, convert the SATA into scsi to go external or what but thats what I need. I havnt been able to find anything like this. Any ideas? Thanks.

BTW, we are looking to get 100TB for this project :D

www.aicipc.com doesn't have anything? Or www.chenbro.com ?

Fitting 12 drives into a 2U or 16 drives into a 3U rackmount isn't difficult... but I imagine you would need something with some intelligence to handle the RAID (either a complete system or some sort of NAS hardware) and then the fibre channel or other interface to get it out externally.

100 tb wow... Are you sure you know what is involved with a 100tb. 100tb will carry a lot of baggage.

lets see... so using 400 gig drives you would only need a case that holds 250 drives. thats in RAID 0 of course... I hope you are not going to be running RAID 0. But lets do some math using the minimum 250 drives. The Storcases mentioned go up to 16 drives per 3u so 250/16 = 16 cases * 3u = 48u. Hey not bad!!! In RAID 0 you can fit all your drives on 1 48u rack. Each of these cases has 2 460 watt power supplies 2 x 460 = 920 * 16 = 14.7 kw! I hope your server room is built well (can handle the weight) and I hope you have more than a couple 20A outlets.

BTW I have couple of these boxes and they work pretty well. What you can do is buy 18 or 20 of these boxes and stuff them all with drives and run hardware raid 5 on each of the boxes and run software raid 5 on your os.. this will allow you the ability to lose an entire case without losing any data. athough Id be afraid to see how long it would take to rebuild a stripe. Sounds like fun tho.

~Sy

I need to find a SATA rackmount case that will hold a ton of drives. I dont need it to hold a motherobard/cpu just have some way of getting the data to another server.  I am not sure how they do it, convert the SATA into scsi to go external or what but thats what I need.  I havnt been able to find anything like this.  Any ideas? Thanks.

BTW, we are looking to get 100TB for this project :D

208908[/snapback]

There are several vendors for such a beast. Some one pointed out Storcase. Here are a few others:

Infortrend

Accusys

ATTO

Axus

Maxtronix

Medea

Nexsan

Proware

Many of these products are rebadged and sold by others.

If you are willing to go with NAS or SAN, your options widen to companies like Dell, Compaq, Adaptec, etc. For 100TB, you are looking at 200 spindles at least. You may want to carefully consider the technology and topology of the host interconnect.

AIC , Chenbro, CiDesign, and Akiwa are the top rackmount chassis manufactures for large OEM customers. So check with them on finding the case you need.

We use Chenbro for the NAS and RAID subsystems I work with.

Coraid ( http://www.coraid.com/ ) makes a rack shelf that lets you plug SATA drives directly into a gigabit network, using ATA over Ethernet. It's said to be very fast and flexible, but I think they only support Linux at the moment.

100 tb wow...  Are you sure you know what is involved with a 100tb.  100tb will carry a lot of baggage.

lets see... so using 400 gig drives you would only need a case that holds 250 drives.  thats in RAID 0 of course... I hope you are not going to be running RAID 0.  But lets do some math using the minimum 250 drives.  The Storcases mentioned go up to 16 drives per 3u so 250/16 = 16 cases * 3u = 48u.  Hey not bad!!! In RAID 0 you can fit all your drives on 1 48u rack.  Each of these cases has 2 460 watt power supplies 2 x 460 = 920 * 16 = 14.7 kw!  I hope your server room is built well (can handle the weight) and I hope you have more than a couple 20A outlets.

208927[/snapback]

HEHE its in a massive data center..

Its going to be phased in so.. yeah..