SlipperyPete

strange SCSI behavior

I am currently using an LSI Logic U160 controller card with a Seagate 15K.3 and a Seagate ST173404LCV (74GB 10,000RPM U160) with a (what appears to be) quality rounded U160 cable and terminator from Hypermicro.com (a site recommended by storagereview).

The drives are 80-pin but came with 68 - 80 pin converters (but the converters are U160). I had the longer end of the SCSI cable connected to the controller, with the first connector on the 15K.3 and the second on the 10K with the terminator on the next. At first, the 15k.3 (boot drive) worked in 16-bit (wide), but I could not get the ST173404LCV to work in 16-bit. The LSI symbios would always say "Failed, reverting this device to narrow" on the ID scan...there was a jumper on the 15k.3 converter's ID0 tag, but none on the 10K converter's (this is the only way it would work).

After disconnecting and then reconnecting the drives to get them both working in 16-bit, there were only more problems. Now, I can only get one drive to work at at time in 8-bit (narrow) mode, and it is with a completely wrong cable setup where the terminator comes before the 15k.3...this is the only way it will work!!

I know the drives should be able to work in U160 mode, and I know they are both fully functional...I have the latest LSI biois (4.19) and have tried multiple setup configurations. I am thinking either the cable/terminator, or the converters are flimsy. I have money to spend on quality stuff but I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance. :lol:

I am currently using an LSI Logic U160 controller card with a Seagate 15K.3 and a Seagate ST173404LCV (74GB 10,000RPM U160) with a (what appears to be) quality rounded U160 cable and terminator from Hypermicro.com (a site recommended by storagereview).

The drives are 80-pin but came with 68 - 80 pin converters (but the converters are U160). I had the longer end of the SCSI cable connected to the controller, with the first connector on the 15K.3 and the second on the 10K with the terminator on the next. At first, the 15k.3 (boot drive) worked in 16-bit (wide), but I could not get the ST173404LCV to work in 16-bit. The LSI symbios would always say "Failed, reverting this device to narrow" on the ID scan...there was a jumper on the 15k.3 converter's ID0 tag, but none on the 10K converter's (this is the only way it would work).

After disconnecting and then reconnecting the drives to get them both working in 16-bit, there were only more problems. Now, I can only get one drive to work at at time in 8-bit (narrow) mode, and it is with a completely wrong cable setup where the terminator comes before the 15k.3...this is the only way it will work!!

I know the drives should be able to work in U160 mode, and I know they are both fully functional...I have the latest LSI biois (4.19) and have tried multiple setup configurations. I am thinking either the cable/terminator, or the converters are flimsy. I have money to spend on quality stuff but I don't want to buy the wrong thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance. :lol:

208659[/snapback]

I have had way to many probs with scsi rounded cables to even begin to rant about. get a couple GOOD adaptec or amphenol u320 cables/terminators. You can get them all the time on eBay for $10.

Its worth it to have a pair laying around just as extras to troubleshoot with I promise. I am sure there may be other great brand names but stick to adaptec or amphenol and you know the quality will be there.

Tex

Tex