geofftech

Don't buy maxtors.

I can now count on both hands how many maxtors have failed on me. How often do two drives fail simultaneously? The two drives were in a rackmounted LaCie etherdisk. I had the unit less than a year!

I want to buy two Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB, it's a bad idea? I have no experience with maxtor, but only with seagate and Western Digital. It's possible your drives was handled without care during shipping? Do you use active cooling?

I can now count on both hands how many maxtors have failed on me.  How often do two drives fail simultaneously?  The two drives were in a rackmounted LaCie etherdisk.  I had the unit less than a year!

208078[/snapback]

same way as any other drive would have died in that case.. heat or shock.

I want to buy two Maxtor MaxLine III 250GB, it's a bad idea? I have no experience with maxtor, but only with seagate and Western Digital. It's possible your drives was handled without care during shipping? Do you use active cooling?

208080[/snapback]

It's a horrible idea! geofftech's experience clearly indicates that all Maxtor drives are shipping defective from the factory. I personally will never buy another Maxtor product after hearing this shocking anecdotal account. :rolleyes:

Now, the only way to ensure that no one else will make the same mistake is to make sure that lexwalker and all the other board-spammers come out of the wood-work and add their voices to this thread. Surely it will grow to be a fountain of wisdom, educating worried, prospective Maxtor-buying-fools about the errors of their ways.

If you've ever had a Maxtor drive fail, I bequeath you: post in this thread so it can become as long and as stupid as the last one.

I did have Maxtor hard drives crap out on me. And Quantums. And IBM/Hitachi's. Samsungs too. Should not forget Seagate, that bad-evil company. Of course I've seen dead WD's as well.

You know what? I'm going to stop using hard disk drives! Gigabyte has some nifty little thing, don't they? RAM pretending to be a SATA hard disk.

Hmmm. I've had dead sticks of RAM too...

208080[/snapback]

It's a horrible idea! geofftech's experience clearly indicates that all Maxtor drives are shipping defective from the factory. I personally will never buy another Maxtor product after hearing this shocking anecdotal account. :rolleyes:

ROTFL :P

Understood... two maxline III for me :rolleyes:

It looks like some of you posters beat me to it.

I too think the blame does not fully fall only on the Maxtor HDD's. Let's look at the real problem like that rackmountable Lacie (HDD Killer). <_<

We sold 4 Lacie 250GB "d2" external drives to a architechure firm. We see the customers fairly regularly cuz they come in all the time for ink/paper/etc. Anyway, of the 4 Lacie units bought, NONE are still in service. 3 failed & the last was taken out of commission prematurely when they used alternative products (Maxtor drives in active cooled 3rd party enclosures).

Edited by Ron_Jeremy

So does LaCie help drives fail with porrly built enclosures? Was kinda surprised to open ours up and see no drive cooling, after the faillure. But I have had a greater amount of Maxtors fail in comparison to the Hitachi, Seagate, and WDs in our Dell Optiplexs @ Upenn.

So does LaCie help drives fail with porrly built enclosures?  Was kinda surprised to open ours up and see no drive cooling, after the faillure.  But I have had a greater amount of Maxtors fail in comparison to the Hitachi, Seagate, and WDs in our Dell Optiplexs @ Upenn.

208111[/snapback]

right on the dot.

you say it all.

Whatever the reason in this case is... maxtor suck.

Toshiba use Maxtors and WD in their bigass copymachines... but theyre fed up with failing maxtors. So... i won't touch the crap.

Speaking of Toshiba, they are by far the most problematic notebooks we sell. Most common problems are screens & motherboards, followed by connectors (like LAN/modem) simply quitting. However, we sell 10 Toshibas for every other brand. See the picture I'm painting?

While I've had a higher failure rate with Maxtor than I've had with IBM/WD/Samsung/Seagate, the most troubling has been Maxtor's refusal to honor their "warranty" period...

(FWIW, Maxtor is also the only company where I've had two drives bad at the same time on the same RAID... Because of that experience, all of my RAIDs are now scheduled to be verified on a daily basis... Not that I have problematic drives anymore on my RAIDs... Oh, did I fail to mention I no longer have a single Maxtor drive on any of my RAIDs? Hmmm...)

Maxtor's been on this slide for at least four years now...

Those Lacie thingies are heat traps. That's why for external HDD casings, I usually recommend well designed ones. :ph34r:

Anyway.. as for Maxtor's higher than usual failure rate.. no comment. Has been spoken for already.. :lol:

hi Ron_Jeremy,

all the while i have this impression that toshiba is as solid as fujitsu. didn;t know they are that bad.

maybe toshiba sells well base on its long time ago past reputations.

and also avoid those external casing with built-in internal power adapter and no internal fans. An external power adapter itself is already quite hot.

all the while i have this impression that toshiba is as solid as fujitsu.  didn;t know they are that bad.

208366[/snapback]

I've personally found no issues with the Satellite Pro laptop range. Haven't played with the Satellites, Tecras or their ultra-thins, so can't make a comment on those particular ranges.

But then again, I've always recommended Thinkpads for their durability, (or Panasonic Toughbooks for those that need a rugged laptop).

hi Ron_Jeremy,

all the while i have this impression that toshiba is as solid as fujitsu.  didn;t know they are that bad.

maybe toshiba sells well base on its long time ago past reputations.

208366[/snapback]

I think you didn't get his point.

A lot more failures with Toshiba's but they sell 10 times more Toshiba's than any other brand. Even withhalf the failure rate they'll get more failures than with other brands.

208366[/snapback]

I've personally found no issues with the Satellite Pro laptop range. Haven't played with the Satellites, Tecras or their ultra-thins, so can't make a comment on those particular ranges.

But then again, I've always recommended Thinkpads for their durability, (or Panasonic Toughbooks for those that need a rugged laptop).

208368[/snapback]

Agree. B)

Panasonic and IBM laptops are very well built high quality and durable machines, I recommend them. Never owned a Toshiba since I had a 286 Toshiba laptop, that was well build but I'm not sure about the ones today.

As far as what hard drives to buy. You must remember all hard drives, as well as any other thing that is electrical, have some percentage of failure rate. When something fails a company loses money and time as well as hurts their reputation and because thats their selling point they don't want to do that. Remember any new hard drive model is tested over and over and looked at with a fine toothed comb, they are not going to release a model unless it meets their guidelines for reliability. A company is not going to produce millions of a certain drive if its going to fail often and cost them money. A good example is this, I used to work at a used computer store, the owner had heard bad things about the old bigfoot drives, so he hated them, they were pulled from any computer that came in on trade or off lease before they were sold. Anyway he gave them all to me and I never had one of those drives fail. :lol:

Besides reliability, the issue here is quality control also... and not whether the drive has gone thru all tests or "meet" the requirements. :ph34r:

BigFoots? Slow, clumsy (bulky) and most of them clunking away dead. In fact its pretty rare to find a working Quantum drive (Prodrive, Trailblazer, Fireball, etc) over here, especially the BigFoots.. most of which I came across has failed (the clunking thingies). :blink:

Really?

Wow my bigfoots are still going strong, I wonder what explains these type things.

How's this for Maxtor's QC...

Previously in this forum we had: Getting DMA to work again in HDD, retracted pin #21 http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=19998 The pin went in! That's pretty rare for these IDE connectors nowadays.

And recently in another forum, someone had 3 pins "pulled" out from the connector! :blink:

Both are Maxtors too... Anectodal? :lol: