dpulez

pci bottleneck but only 1 pcie scsi raid card?

I have a seagate 15k.3 as an xp/programs drive. I wanted to get 2 more 15k drives and use xp's software raid 0. The bottleneck is the pci bus at 133mb/sec (my controller is 160mb/sec). I also have a raid 0 ide setup on my p4p800e with the promise raid- I believe this uses pci bandwidth too? Is this a stupid setup or should I get one of the lsi maxraid scsi controllers- the only pcie scsi controller available (but expensive)- or wait till cheaper pcie cards come out, or just stick with crappy pci for now? Thanks,

David

Well from the bottleneck issue your having it sounds like you are using 32 bit pci cards, a 64-bit pci card would have a little more bandwidth for the drive to work with. Tekram http://www.tekram.com/pci.html offers some pci-x and pci-e scsi adaptors which could give you more bandwidth and reduce the bottleneck. If you have to you could buy a new motherboard with pci-x or pci-e slots for the new card. You could also look into a motherboard with onboard scsi like a Tyan http://www.tyan.com/products/html/systemboards.html and this would prevent any add in card from being needed.

Hope this helps. :)

Server motherboards with 64 bit pci-x slots are too much $, especially with a required opteron or xeon cpu, it just doesn't make sense.

Looks like one of the maxraid scsi pcie's or waiting for some cheaper pcie's because of the pci bottleneck.

By the way, pcie (pci express) is much better than pcix (pci extended)...

Do ide devices on the motherboard use pci bandwidth too? I have 2 in a raid 0 now...

Thanks,

David

Is this a stupid setup...?
Since you did not mention any kind of specific tasks this pc will be doing, I can only assume it's gonna be a "regular" computer used by a "regular" Joe. The answer to above question, is yes.

There are cheaper (non) server motherboards with pci-x slots. Yes pci-e is faster. If you consider the insane prices that are charged for scsi adaptor cards those "server" motherboards start to look not so expensive. Also they have system boards with onboard scsi (and) (or) pci-x slots that use regular old cheap p4, p3, athlon, athlon xp, pm, geode, and athlon 64 processors just look around. Also the "retail" is very high on scsi adaptors and server boards, but this is why we have Ebay for great used deals and if you check the budget sites or even like pricegrabber you can get stuff new way under retail. Just an example, I am thinking of getting a ATI AIW X800 XT, retail is $449.99 but I was able to find one new from a dependable online retailer for $309.00, used on Ebay these cards are going for between $350 and $400, thanks pricegrabber. :)

Edited by xSTLx

Is this a stupid setup...?
Since you did not mention any kind of specific tasks this pc will be doing, I can only assume it's gonna be a "regular" computer used by a "regular" Joe. The answer to above question, is yes.

207890[/snapback]

What exactly is a stupid setup? I'd like to use raid 0 for photo editing discs where i move huge files around a lot. Thanks.

Well he was just trying to find out what the machine is used for.

The best thing to do to help us help you is please post detailed system specs and details about what the machine will be used for.

If you want higher bandwidth, then 64-bit PCI bus is the way to go I'm afraid. And its only avalable mostly on server boards. There are P4 (not P4 Xeon) only based server boards, usually the entry level ones and some do have 64-bit PCI slots (and AGP Pro usually, newer ones should have PCIe slots). Most of the RAID cards can be used on either 32-bit or 64-bit PCI slots (notice the extra edge connector of the card?) but when used on a normal 32-bit slot, then the bottleneck remains. :ph34r:

Thanks for all the replies. I will wait for pcie scsi cards to become more available as the cheapest now is $200. Pcie is the way to go, pcix is obsolete now that pcie is available. Soon, cheaper scsi cards will be available. I've found a cheap nice pcie setup too: sempron 3000+ 512k socket 754 with asus k8s-mx. I'll stick with my ide raid for now. This is a much more important question relating to my ide raid which is having pathetic benchmarks:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=19991

Thanks!

What exactly is a stupid setup?  I'd like to use raid 0 for photo editing discs where i move huge files around a lot.  Thanks.

207894[/snapback]

Using Photoshop? If so, running one for photoshop files and one for scratch, with OS & pagefile on your original disk, might be a better way forward.

Still, RAID 0 will also help you (IMO less than my suggestion above), since you will depend on STR rather more than the "average Joe".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Theres 2 of them.  **I'm sure the reason why they are cheap is there is no onboard cache ram included...

207907[/snapback]

I got bad news for ya. I have a pair of those cards and they currently are only compatible with a few server boards it seems. And even then a ton of the bios's don't work on those server boards.

I have a pair of xeons coming for a supermicro motherboard that they are supposed to work in. There are a number of Intel dual xeon boards they work in with SOME bios's. Even using the srcu42e (the Intel OEM of the 320-2e) they don't always work with Intels own server boards.

I have tried mine in a number of single cpu AMD64 NF4 based boards with dual 16x pci-e slots and they won't even boot. Most these single cpu NF4 boards seem to be expecting only video cards in these slots at this time is my guess.

Things will get better as more non-video pci-e cards become available. But right now the 320-2e is blazingly fast... when you can get the suckers to work at all.

Tex

I would have posted details not the auction, might not last long, got my buy it now finger itch going, but im to nice i suppose. Looks like a good card but maybe Tex is right about it having issues with some motherboards, but for the price I couldent see passing up a chance at trying.

Edited by xSTLx

I would have posted details not the auction, might not last long, got my buy it now finger itch going, but im to nice i suppose.  Looks like a good card but maybe Tex is right about it having issues with some motherboards, but for the price I couldent see passing up a chance at trying.

207934[/snapback]

be careful with Dell SCSI cards. My lab bought a 400SC with 36GB 10K SCSI a while back and a Dell-branded LSI SCSI with RAID 0,1 support. Since there was only 1 drive in that machine I tried swapping it out with a LSI U160 card and using the LSI card in my home server. That card would NOT boot and only worked in the Dell machine. However, I couldn't find the exact card on LSI's website so I never had a chance to reflash it or anything. But yeah, for that price it's worth a shot.

I would have posted details not the auction, might not last long, got my buy it now finger itch going, but im to nice i suppose.  Looks like a good card but maybe Tex is right about it having issues with some motherboards, but for the price I couldent see passing up a chance at trying.

207934[/snapback]

be careful with Dell SCSI cards. My lab bought a 400SC with 36GB 10K SCSI a while back and a Dell-branded LSI SCSI with RAID 0,1 support. Since there was only 1 drive in that machine I tried swapping it out with a LSI U160 card and using the LSI card in my home server. That card would NOT boot and only worked in the Dell machine. However, I couldn't find the exact card on LSI's website so I never had a chance to reflash it or anything. But yeah, for that price it's worth a shot.

207969[/snapback]

That was Dells version of the LSI 21320. You needed to flash it with LSI's bios and it had to be done in a Dell. I have heard this from reliable sources several times. And I have used two in my systems here with no problems. Weird huh? So not sure if it was a certain revision or firmware or what. But even though I didnt have a problem it seems you are correct as several very good tech's I know had the same problem.

Tex

207934[/snapback]

207969[/snapback]

That was Dells version of the LSI 21320. You needed to flash it with LSI's bios and it had to be done in a Dell. I have heard this from reliable sources several times. And I have used two in my systems here with no problems. Weird huh? So not sure if it was a certain revision or firmware or what. But even though I didnt have a problem it seems you are correct as several very good tech's I know had the same problem.

Tex

208106[/snapback]

That's interesting. I have one DELL 21320. I flashed the bios on my Supermicro board. Then it works on any other board.

Tex, thank you for clarifying that mystery! My experience with that card demonstrates the extra effort Dell goes through to lock people into their hardware. Oddly enough though, I recommended the 400SC for buddies of mine as it was a cheap, off the shelf 875P, motherboard. Bizarre.

207934[/snapback]

207969[/snapback]

Tex

208106[/snapback]

That's interesting. I have one DELL 21320. I flashed the bios on my Supermicro board. Then it works on any other board.

208107[/snapback]

Same here.