opq

BenQ Showcases Prototype BD-RW Writer

BenQ has demonstrated its BW1000 prototype blue-laser DVD burner at the recently concluded Computex 2005. The company plans to begin mass production of the product in 1Q/2Q 2006, depending on how quickly the market for blue-laser products develops. The BW1000 features writing speeds of up to 2x for Blu-ray single-layer and DL (double-layer) discs, 12x DVD-/+R, 4x DVD-/+R DL, 4x DVD-/+RW, 32x CD-R and 24x CD-RW, as well as reading speeds of 2x for Blu-ray, 12x for DVD and 32x for CD, according to company figures.

As finalized this year, single-layer Blu-ray discs will have a storage capacity of about 25GB while DL versions will have a capacity of 50GB. With these large capacities, the BW1000 is aimed at high-density applications such as HDTV recording and playback. BenQ also showcased two DVD burner models (DQ60 and DW1640) at the show, with the DQ60 being BenQ’s first three-format (+R, -R and -RAM) drive. The DVD drive also features drag-and-drop data recording, so burning software is not necessary, BenQ pointed out. The model will be launched at the end of this month.

Article Source: http://www.pcnx.com/view.asp?685

Wow that reads and writes blu ray very slow, kinda like dvd burners when they first came out and were ungodly expensive. I think I will wait a year or so for the performance to get much better and the prices to fall, but still very cool toy.

Wow that reads and writes blu ray very slow, kinda like dvd burners when they first came out and were ungodly expensive.  I think I will wait a year or so for the performance to get much better and the prices to fall, but still very cool toy.

207326[/snapback]

How can you say it writes BluRay slow when you don't know the data-rate of BluRay?

Remember 1xDVD=8x CD so 16xDVD=128x CD. Who knows what 1xBlu Ray equals?

http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.7

1.7 How fast can you record a Blu-ray disc?

According to the Blu-ray Disc v1.0 specification, 1x speed will require a 36.5Mbps data transfer rate, which means it will take about 1 hour and 33 minutes to record 25GB. The Blu-ray Disc Association are currently working on the v2.0 specification, which will support 2x speed to cut the time it takes to copy content from one disc to another in half. In the future, the data transfer rate is expected to be raised to 8x or more.

For now, that doesn't seem too slow. 1-speed BD equates to about 3.4x DVD, with the BenQ drive writing at slightly under 7x DVD. Not too shabby for a first-generation drive. 8x is going to be a hell of a lot though, effectively preventing any form of multitasking while burning with the current crop of consumer hard drives. I'd much prefer to wait 45 minutes to burn a BluRay disk at 2x than the same amount of time to burn 11 DVD's at 8x.

Wow, with 2.0 specs maybe BlueRay will FINALLY provide a justification for all of those RAID 0 fanatics...just to keep up with it!

I think that even 1.0 speeds are going to tax a bunch of systems that are in homes right now...

Future Shock

N.B. - in other news, I just replaced my Plextor DVD burner with an HP with Lightscribe cause I'm pissed at Plextor for going after the guy making Plextools for Linux, and I'm tired of using a Sharpie to label my disks...it seems to work VERY well, but takes 25 minutes to burn the label layer. On the plus side, you can burn the label before you burn the disk, so if you have a common design without track names you can burn them in advance...

I have 2 digital max dvd burners that have served me well, plus they were about $30 each. I have evolved past sharpie as well, but mine take about 10 seconds to print on my Primera cd printer, this thing is great.

Link:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...32876&CatId=249

The printer is like $140 and I have to buy ink but it saves time, how is my method compare price wise to a lightscribe?

But when I get moving I do great, burning 2 dvds at a time and printing them up quick. :)

The printer is like $140 and I have to buy ink but it saves time, how is my method compare price wise to a lightscribe?

But when I get moving I do great, burning 2 dvds at a time and printing them up quick.  :)

207428[/snapback]

Well, they both make greytoned images, but Lightscribe requires no ink, but DOES make you buy "Lightscribe enhanced" media. The good news is that both Verbatim and Memorex are both mass producing said disks, as well as HP, so prices are pretty near normal CDs/DVDs.

While I used to relish giant, impressive cases and systems, I have evolved into trying to minimize my computing footprint - my HP 7210 handles color printing/scanning/fax/copying, my Aria-enclosed home system is small and quiet, and I my 17" LCD isn't the largest, but it IS portable. To add another printer to my workspace just to lable disks isn't in keeping with that direction...

And my HP burner with Lightscribe was $90 at newegg, while just your printer was $140...

Future Shock