xSTLx

Looking for AMD MP Dual Motherboard.

Could someone help me find a dual AMD MP motherboard with a 8X AGP slot and 64-bit pci slots?

I need one but I need it to have AGP 8X for graphics and 64-bit pci for SCSI controllers, or integrated SCSI ultra320 would be good as well.

I would prefer it to not have integrated stuff like sound, video, and nics so I can add my own, I hate having things im not using on the board.

I was looking at the Tyan Tiger and its perfect except the AGP slot is only 4X.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tigermpx.html

Thanks for the help in advance I hope I can find one. :D

Why do you need AGP 8x? It offers no performance benefit above AGP 4x. Besides, all 8x cards work in 4x and "universal" (4x/2x) slots by design.

EDIT: Plus, I don't think any of the Athlon MP chipsets support AGP 8x, just 4x.

Edited by sm8000

Why do you need AGP 8x? It offers no performance benefit above AGP 4x. Besides, all 8x cards work in 4x and "universal" (4x/2x) slots by design.

EDIT: Plus, I don't think any of the Athlon MP chipsets support AGP 8x, just 4x.

205797[/snapback]

It will be getting a 6800 Ultra and yes it will work in a 4X slot, but the 6800 ultra does push more info then a 4X slot will handle which will create a bottleneck.

If none of the chipsets support it that could be a problem.

Hey a pci-e motherboard would work to, but I don't think MP pci-e boards exist, please correct me if I am wrong, if they don't exist I wonder if they will have them.

Hey a pci-e motherboard would work to, but I don't think MP pci-e boards exist, please correct me if I am wrong, if they don't exist I wonder if they will have them.

205798[/snapback]

Tyan Thunder K8WE: Dual CPU, dual independent PCI-E 16x (offers 16x + 16x bandwidth for SLI), three PCI-X (can take 64bit PCI too).

But you are going to hate it. It has built-in

- dual gigabit nics

- firewire400

- usb2 (many)

- audio

- firewall

- tcp/ip offload

- SATA

- U320 SCSI (option)

205798[/snapback]

Tyan Thunder K8WE: Dual CPU, dual independent PCI-E 16x (offers 16x + 16x bandwidth for SLI), three PCI-X (can take 64bit PCI too).

205807[/snapback]

Nice board:

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8we.html

But I'm looking for AMD MP processor boards, this is an Opteron board.

The MP processor platform has only been supported by AMD, chipset wise. AMD came with the MP and later on the MPX chipset.

The features the Tyan MPX has, come on all MPX based boards. So 4X AGP max.

There are no other options.

Edited by Shuriken

205797[/snapback]

It will be getting a 6800 Ultra and yes it will work in a 4X slot, but the 6800 ultra does push more info then a 4X slot will handle which will create a bottleneck.

205798[/snapback]

No it doesn't and no it won't.

Neither of the Athlon MP chipsets support anything above 4x AGP, and there is no chance at all that the platform will receive any updates for new interfaces as it has officially been dropped by AMD.

An 8x card will work just fine in a 4x slot. This is mandated in the AGP 3.0 standard, and works universally by design. Since AGP transfers only happen when the rendered scene occupies more memory than what is on the card, I don't think the speed and performance difference are anything worse than negligible. Since you're using a GeForce 6600 I'm going to assume this is a gaming rig. I would only be worried about the performance hit if you were using a 3DLabs/FireGL/Quadro card and a lot of the work those types of cards are meant for.

205797[/snapback]

205798[/snapback]

No it doesn't and no it won't.

Neither of the Athlon MP chipsets support anything above 4x AGP, and there is no chance at all that the platform will receive any updates for new interfaces as it has officially been dropped by AMD.

205817[/snapback]

Agreed. The AGP 4x is very unlikely to be a bottleneck and shouldn't be a problem.

The AthlonMP CPUs and the dated platform will be a far bigger bottleneck than AGP speed in an AthlonMP setup. You're looking at a 266MHz FSB and single channel DDR266 - it was great when the platform was launched almost 4 years ago, but is very sad now.

I see very, very few reasons why you should be building an AthlonMP system now, and gaming is certainly not one of them. Pick up cheap Presionia Xeons on eBay and one of the i875 based Xeon boards from Asus or something along those lines, if money is tight.

Dave

I agree, the only reason to build an AthlonMP system now is if you already have most of the parts.

I have to agree as well the cost of the board and the Procs would probably come close to that of a A64 X2 4200, and a Decent Nforce3 939 board. I think MSI makes a pretty good one.

1800 MP costs ~$100

MPX costs ~200

2800+ Costs $200

Nothing really in between the 1800 is to slow and the 2800 is to expensive.

If you already have the CPU's (more then one, other wise i think even the purchase of another CPU is useless), the 4x should suit everything you will need performance wise.

Sorry, that should read Prestonia Xeons. The point is the same though - a pair of those OEM off eBay and an Asus i875 based board is the cheapest way to get an SMP system today. That won't be true for long though - if cheap SMP is what you want then get a 2.8GHz Pentium D when they come out.

Dave