xSTLx

Will my motherboard support 2 gig of ram?

Will my motherboard support 2 gig of ram?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Will my motherboard support 2 gig of ram?

• Your motherboard will not support 2 gig of ram.
    • Your motherboard will support 2 gig of ram.
    • Your motherboard may support 2 gig of ram.

Ok so I have been having problems with my pagefile and many have suggested I get more ram. Will this has come up many times in the past for me because I really want more ram. Before I spend lots of money on 2 1 gig DDR 2100 strips I want to make sure or at least be pretty sure it will work. I will be buying high performance low latency ram of course.

I have a Compaq 8QSXE1 with a Quicksilver 2 motherboard. It has AMD northbridge and a Via southbridge. It has 2 DDR 2100 slots so it will require 2 1 gig memory modules. Compaq says that the motherboard will support a max of 1 gig of ram, but they are using old paperwork to determine this before 1 gig strips were common place and no one has probably ever attempted to put 2 gig of ram in one of these presario computers, and even if they did im sure they did not leave feedback to Compaq about it.

The computer currently has 2 512 meg kingston hyper x low latency DDR 2700 modules.

So I'm making this poll to determine if I should go against Compaq's suggestions and try the 2 gig of ram in my computer.

I was going to go to CompUSA and have them put 2 1 gig strips in because I would not have to buy them if they did not work, but they checked Compaq's website and said this computer says it will only support 1 gig, so I'm screwed by Compaq again even at CompUSA.

Thanks in advance, just give your honest opinion even if not 100% sure, let the voting begin. :D

Hi, I didn't find much of help on Compaq (HP) website. You say it has AMD northbridge and VIA southbridge so I looked up Asus A7M266 which also uses AMD northbridge / VIA southbridge. The manual (on page 25) shows a max memory config of 2GB, 1GB in each slot. If this is similar to your board then the chipset itself is capable of supporting 2GB, it comes down to Compaq’s implementation / BIOS.

Also are you sure you need expensive low latency memory? Most of the big name PCs I've seen don't use SPD timings, they set very conservative timings automatically and you can't change them. You could check your existing setup using CPUZ, Everest, etc to see what its running now.

If you can set manual timing, very often generic DDR400 will run tight timings at lower speeds, e.g. the 266 you need.

Seb

CPUZ says:

Module Size - 512 MBytes

Correction - None

Max Bandwidth - PC2700 (166 MHz)

Registered - No

Manufacturer - Kingston

Buffered - No

Part Number - K

Serial Number - 0B2A8785

Manufacturing Date - Week 16 Year 04

SPD Timings Table:

Frequency - 166 MHz

CAS# Latency - 2.0

RAS# to CAS# - 2

RAS# Precharge - 2

TRas# - 5

So I think the low latency RAM is helping me but not exactly sure.

The SPD table is generated by the RAM itself. I don't think it implies that that's what the motherboard is working at. Memtest86 would tell you for sure. http://www.memtest86.com IIRC.

If HP/Compaq say it won't work, you may well be screwed unless you upgrade your motherboard. But if you can test it for free, with minimal inconvenience, it's worth a shot. Make sure they let you run memtest86, it might boot but be unstable.

Try the website of a RAM manufacturer like Kingston. Usually you can find the types of RAM they support on a whole load of machines and mainboards.

Mine is a 8000Z but that kinston site says that info is for a mode with an AMD Athon 64 processor and I have the Athlon XP. Wonder if the info is still good for me.

Thanks for all the votes so far. Keep em coming. :D

Looking like its shaping up to be a screw what Compaq says try it anyways win, but we will see. :)