Sign in to follow this  
gankin247

Maxtor RMA - how to tell if you receive a new drive

I posted several posts about a month ago regarding my new 80gig D740x. It turns out the drive is defective (loud grinding, and rattleing noises developed along with other strange operating problems). I RMA'd the drive back to Maxtor yesterday. I was told that, since the drive was less than 30 days old, I would receive a new drive, not a remanufactured drive. I insisted on a new drive, given the age and price I paid. When it comes in the mail, how can I be sure the drive is indeed new?

Thanks.

Manufacturers are, by law, required to identify remanufactured or refurbished products. You should be able to tell this right away.

I posted several posts about a month ago regarding my new 80gig D740x.  It turns out the drive is defective (loud grinding, and rattleing noises developed along with other strange operating problems).  I RMA'd the drive back to Maxtor yesterday.  I was told that, since the drive was less than 30 days old, I would receive a new drive, not a remanufactured drive.  I insisted on a new drive, given the age and price I paid.  When it comes in the mail, how can I be sure the drive is indeed new?

I have made a total of five drive returns with Maxtor. You can tell if the drive is refurb (which it usually is, at least for me) by looking at the top of the drive: If it has a white sticker that says something like "Tested to comply with Maxtor specifications" (or something like that) and a barcode, it is refurb.

BTW, always look for these stickers when buying a "new" drive. I have seen several "new" refurbished drives at trade shows. (I guess the sticker is hard to remove--or it isn't glaringly obvious that it is refurb just by the sticker which doesn't actually say 'refurbished')

My refurb experience:

-Sent in two 10GB 5400RPMers

-one 40GB 7200RPM

-other smaller ones which I don't remember

I recieved:

-Two 13GB 5400RPM drives. All are working fine.

-One 45GB (??) 7200RPM drive. Works fine.

-Two drives of other sizes, one of which died within a week and the other of which I gave away.

Not really. they won't fix the drive there and then, and send it back to him, instead they will probably return someone else's drive.

Also a lot of refurbished drives are reworked at the factory. Drives which fail during initial production can and are often reworked (cheaper than scrapping them).

Free