udaman

Mother's day, so what did you do for her?

As the reviver/keeper of the faith, 'old posts' I quote from the ddrueding pizza thread circa 2003

How often do you guys order pizza?, Random, but WTF....

rarely

mommy cooks for me and it's better than the stuff rest of the world has

126308[/snapback]

Despite have the WORLD'S BEST PIZZA here in NYC, my wife and I have decided not to order it out any more.  We were ordering from Angelo's Pizza on 57th - a double pepperoni and olive pizza costs a whopping $21.  Now, that IS a fantastic pizza, probably the most tasty pizza you can imagine (they use real coal fired ovens to get just the right taste!).  But $21?!?! 

Instead, we have decided that DeGiorgio's frozen pepperoni and sausage pizza is actually pretty darned good, and costs $7.29 a pie.  And we can get it across the street at Associated Market, and have it ready in about the same time delivery takes.  And it's always hot, as opposed to delivery where sometimes it's just warm...

Future Shock

127353[/snapback]

mommy cooks for me and it's better than the stuff rest of the world has

:)

We cook ourselves. When we have enough time we cook more than we need and put some in the deep freezer (like pasta sauce, soup, ...). In the three years I've been with my girlfriend we ordered pizza two or three times I think and chinese 5 or six. Usually food you cook yourself is better than takeaway EXCEPT the pizza's at work. Too bad they order them on Thursday's when I stop working at 12.00. Or perhaps it's a Good Thing for my health.

Do many of you cook? And I don't mean an egg or throw something in the micro wave oven. I mean really cook as in buying vegetables, cleaning and cutting them yourself etc.

128124[/snapback]

Do many of you cook?  And I don't mean an egg or throw something in the micro wave oven.  I mean really cook as in buying vegetables, cleaning and cutting them yourself etc.

Yep. And I find it fun as well... For a male sounds strange, but I really enjoy cooking when I have enough time to dedicate.

128132[/snapback]

Alright you worthless, heaping sack of donkey manure, testosterone challenged, warmongering, aggressive males; what did you do for mom this Sunday.... mother's day in the USA? Those of you who no longer have parents alive like my friend, or only have a father, you're excluded.

Me, well my mother has been in one terrifically bad mood over the last 1/2 yr, what with her chemo/radiation therapy, recent ovarian cyst that turned out to be benign (radiologist told her that she'd "dogged the bullet, more than anyone he's seen" [over his 30yr. career] ) but she's gotten so depressed, that a recent fall of the bed at night, causing her to have black N blue bump on her forehead, and black eye; has her thinking about other 'old farts' as RJ would call them, and she just wants to die. Tough for me to try and keep her from getting too depressed. Radiation that killed the cancer, has left her with limited taste; she can distinguish sweetness, sour, bitter, salty; but most of the subtle flavors we take fore-granted, she cannot taste at all. Perhaps her taste will return, but the likelihood is not good. Still has to take her pain meds for the permanent pain from the lung removal, and now the right side of her mouth/teeth are in pain from the tumor removal/scar tissue. Ah well, you live long enough, most 'old farts' are in some-kind of pain from something, and it only gets worse the longer you're alive.

Me, I have a herniated disk from an injury sustained from lifting a 70lb Dataproducts dot-matrix printer in the mid 1980's, only gets worse, causes 'referred' back pain in my extremities. Nothing like an elderly 'old fart' experiences, but not exactly comfortable.

I went to Mousse Fantasy, on the westside's little Asian row, from Olympic to Santa Monica, a 2 block long section of Sawtelle Blvd, that is traditionally Japanese, with a few other Asian stores. Go south a few blocks you have next to the freeway, mostly Hispanic apartments. To the north you end up a few blocks/1mile up... Ritzy Brentwood/Bel-Air where homes start at $1Million. Mousse Fantasy is run by a husband and wife team of Japanese in their late 40's/early 50's. Good people, excellent pastries.

From my mother "Spectacular Mother's day Desserts! And the Creme puffs are the best --- maybe better than that I remember! (from the time in 2001 when I forced her to consume Mousse Fantasy super-high-calorie creme puffs filled with real thick custard, like they used to do in her home of Hawaii, back before WWII when she was a child and her mother would give her creme puffs as a reward for childhood painful sinus medical treatments; during her chemotherapy for the lung cancer when she was losing 2lbs a week, and constantly feeling nauseated).

So, even if your mother was a tyrant like George W. Bush's mother, you still have to respect her for dealing with all the stinker you put her through. What have you done lately to do your mother right?

BTW, Prof. Wiz. is such a 'girlie-mon'. Maybe most SR posters don't know jack stinker about making their own meals, may I suggest an outstanding comedy that takes place in an apartment of NYC, and the actuall Dean & Deluca gourmet superstore, Mathieu Broderick's best performance in the movie as a gourmet foods expert and talented cook...listen up guys, learn to cook seductively good food and you'll have the women eating out of your hands, and devouring your 'sausage' for dessert! Sushi (raw meat) anyone? ;)The Night We Never Met. Oh man, that macrobiotic, insufferable, PETA loving, vegan chic poor Matthew Broderick has to deal with on an in home date is almost hilarious... if it weren't for the fact that we (well at least me) have had to deal with such loser dates from hell. And that "Inga, come back" chick, from Norway and doesn't speak a word of English... da bomb (see, I don't only like raven haired Asian babes), "you know what I want?" Yeah, me too Matthew Broderick, I'm with you on that one (huh, does that make me shallow :) ? )

So many theads, so little time

No website yet, but Mousse Fantasy's pasteries are sooooo light, they go down light like nothing, you could eat a dozen of them before succuming to 'sugar-high'. Definitely what you want to give to the women after dinner, to get them into euphoric state... that and some nice high-octane Calfornia Zinfandel (did I mention that my friend and I have obtained a small amount of rare Sonoma Cty old vines/tres vielle vignes Zinfandel from the 2004 vintage, that has just completed fermentation to perfect dryness, yet tips the scales at a huge 17.38% alcohol :) ?)

I figured I'd take my mum to one of the really nice resteraunts in the area and then go wine tasting. When I showed up at her place in nice clothes, she handed me a post hole digger and showed me where she wanted her new fence to go. Digging a dozen 3' deep holes, putting posts in them, and filling with cement was not what I had in mind; but it did make her happy.

Where I come from, mother's day is on 15th of August. Where I live now it was last Sunday so... Didn't get my moim anything - she'll have to wait 'til August. My gf, who happens to be mother to my two little daughters, I gave a nice set of lingerie :)

I gave my mum a.... phone call. I'm such a cheap bastard -_-

(she's travelling right now, so there wasn't anything else I could get her)

Took my own mom out for dinner at a nice Asian place near her...

Didn't even call my ex-wife...

Future Shock