guzo

slow wireless

i have US robotics 125 Mbps pci card, 125 Mbps USR AP, and hp laptop with broadcom b/g card.

USR card sends it at 12000 kbps and it shows that tranfers rate at receiver is only 1500 kbytes/s

what could be the problem. I heard that transfer should around 5 MB/s

Edited by guzo

5mbps is typical of 802.11b and one should be able to get around 20-25mbps on 802.11g. That said i dont have alot of experience on the so called "turboG" 108mbps and i have never heard of 125mbps technology from USR or whoever is providing them the chips. I can only assume that you should be able to achive at least 25mbps since the later 2(108mbps and 125mbps) are both based on 802.11g. Check your signal strength and speed, both will varry based on distance and obstacles.

I hope this helps you a little.

devices are within 2 meters radius.

when i put to low preamble that i get 1,6 megabyte per second

I believe that o should get at least 4 megabyte per second.

;) of course, if you are transfering from the 125mb/s to the regular 802.11g card a good rule of thumb is to take the rate of the slower NIC(for compatability mode) and cut it in half for the AP and then split the remaining bandwidth up per the number of node transfering on the network.

This formula has worked more or less for me in the past but i have not tested it on a large wireless network.

if you have 2 nodes transfering data at max capacity in 54g mode then i would think you would see more like 10-12 mb/s.

(((54mbps)/2 )/#clients)- overhead= bandwidth

overhead can come in the form of security and packet encapsulation data.

If that formula holds true in this case the you can expect to see around 1.25 MB/s wich is right around where you are at now.

Edited by Chicago

what could be the problem. I heard that transfer should around 5 MB/s

204402[/snapback]

MobilePC does a pretty good job benchmarking routers, and the absolute fastest they've ever tested was a D-Link that moved 49.1 mbits/s at point-blank range: http://www.mobilepcmag.com/reviews/2005_02...PreNRouter.html

BTW turbo routers have generally tested slower than standard wireless-G routers in 802.11g mode, and 12mbit is a perfectly reasonable expected max speed for them.