Sign in to follow this  
tempus

Opinions wanted on the Maxtor D740X

I am seeking opinions on this drive for the 60 gig and the 80 gig versions, either good or bad. Can someone tell me if the performance of these two drives are the same or similar. My reason for asking is the performance between the 60 and 80 WD BB series is not the same even though the series is the same.

thanks

I am seeking opinions on this drive for the 60 gig and the 80 gig versions, either good or bad. Can someone tell me if the performance of these two drives are the same or similar. My reason for asking is the performance between the 60 and 80 WD BB series is not the same even though the series is the same.

thanks

The WD 60GB & 80GB drives are not in the same series... Whoever told you that was wrong.

The Maxtor D740X drives are all the same, no matter the size. WD makes a different drive in each size.

Jason

Sure, but by using that defination, my old 85MB drive from 1991 is in the same series...

The 60GB drive is from the WD600BB series, the 80GB drive is from the WD800BB series...

Jason

Ok The WD BB series are not the same basic drive for each capicity and the Maxtor D740X is. But who has personal experience with a maxtor D740X drive? In the real world how does the max perform? And how is the reliability of this drive? From what I have read about the WD BB ,this series of drives are a disaster.

Ok The WD BB series are not the same basic drive for each capicity and the Maxtor D740X is. But who has personal experience with a maxtor D740X drive? In the real world how does the max perform? And how is the reliability of this drive? From what I have read about the WD BB  ,this series of drives are a disaster.

There is no BB series of drive.

WD puts a suffix at the end of their drive series numbers, to show the differences.

A WD drive ending in AB is a 5,400 RPM drive.

A WD drive ending in BB is a 7,200 RPM drive.

A WD drive ending in JB is a 7,200 RPM drive with 8MB cache

Read SR's review of the D740X, it is accurate...

The current WD drives seems to be just fine, if someone told you otherwise, check other sources... The only current drives that are suspect are the IBM 75GXP, 60GXP, & 120GXP series drives. The 75GXP were the worst, and IBM seems to be improving, but most people are avoiding them until they show some track record of improvement.

Jason

Ok The WD BB series are not the same basic drive for each capicity and the Maxtor D740X is. But who has personal experience with a maxtor D740X drive? In the real world how does the max perform? And how is the reliability of this drive? From what I have read about the WD BB  ,this series of drives are a disaster.

I have the Maxtor D740X 80GB (BB) paired with a PROMISE Ultra133 TX2 PCI Card, darn fast for seeks not even my WD 120JB can come close to it, this drive is fast for MB/s Read/Write but the WD120JB will do faster on that, and most likely the Maxtor seems to be better choice because when you play games the time for it to load depends on the Seek+Read of the HDD, the D740X is the fastest EIDE HDD on that, but the WD is Faster for Write speeds and besides compared to the WD100JB, it is way cheaper and better choice and only 20GB less. and two D740X 80GB on RAID are a better buy than a WD120JB.

I have the Maxtor D740X 80GB (BB)

/nitpick

There is no such thing as a D740X BB drive. The BB sufix belongs only to WD drives, it is their way to tell which drives are 7,200 RPM drives.

The JB sufix they use are 7,200 RPM drives with 8MB cache

/nitpick

In 99% of all situations, you will not see any real world difference between a D740X and a WD1200BB.

The WD1200JB is a bit faster, and might be noticed if you've recently run another fast drive.

They are all much faster than any drive 2 to 3 years old.

Jason

jehh,

You sound like a nitpicker. We don't post on this forum to be nitpicked.Its annoying.

Normally I don't nitpick (unless I'm just poking fun), but he has been doing that for awhile now, and it has been bugging me. :)

Jason

[Nitpicking Jason]

H-O-N-E-S-T

[OK I'm done now]

Maxtor's 740DX drives are really just about the best thing going in IDE right now. I know everyone is jazzed about the WD1200JB, but the 740s are real workhorses. Quiet, good seek speeds, good transfer rates, available at exceedingly reasonable prices. Probably the best all-'round drive available at the moment. I've used the 60, but not the 80GB versions. I can tell you that the 40GB and the 60GB model perform identically, best as I'm able to determine.

[Nitpicking Jason]

H-O-N-E-S-T

[OK I'm done now]

Oh, ouch... Right to the kisser...

Maxtor's 740DX drives are really just about the best thing going in IDE right now. I know everyone is jazzed about the WD1200JB, but the 740s are real workhorses. Quiet, good seek speeds, good transfer rates, available at exceedingly reasonable prices. Probably the best all-'round drive available at the moment. I've used the 60, but not the 80GB versions. I can tell you that the 40GB and the 60GB model perform identically, best as I'm able to determine.

Yes, what you said...

You cannot really go wrong with a D740X, and it is what should really be on the Leaderboard, because the WD1200JB is not for most people.

Jason

...because the WD1200JB is not for most people.

Jason

Sure it is - I just installed mine last night, and I think I'm in love. Please don't anyone tell my wife...

Sure it is - I just installed mine last night, and I think I'm in love.  Please don't anyone tell my wife...

Do you need some time alone with your new drive Future?

:P:D:)

Jason

I didn't start it this time!

I'm sure the 'JB is a wonderful drive. However, isn't it a "limited production" model or something?

Long time ago, Hitachi sent an 11,000rpm SCSI drive to SR for review. It sat on the leaderboard for awhile, IIRC, but was never available to the public.

So is the JB a widely-available drive or not?

I agree, however, that the 740DX is the better drive, if for no other reason than its availability in sizes smaller than "flagship" capacity.

I'm sure the 'JB is a wonderful drive.  However, isn't it a "limited production" model or something?

No, it is easy to order from dozens of places...

I ordered mine from NewEgg...

Long time ago, Hitachi sent an 11,000rpm SCSI drive to SR for review. It sat on the leaderboard for awhile, IIRC, but was never available to the public.

That was a 12,000 RPM drive, (not that I would nitpick of course), and it was almost impossible to find.

Yep...

I agree, however, that the 740DX is the better drive, if for no other reason than its availability in sizes smaller than "flagship" capacity.

I agree, this is why the D740X should be on the leaderboard...

Jason

I got my pair from the Gateway On-line store - they were running a special with a $50 discount. If THAT ain't readily available I don't know what is...

As for the size issue, go big or go home... the JB deserves the top spot on the leaderboard!

I have the Maxtor D740X 80GB (BB)

/nitpick

There is no such thing as a D740X BB drive. The BB sufix belongs only to WD drives, it is their way to tell which drives are 7,200 RPM drives.

Jason

Did you forget about the Ball Baaring (BB) and Fluid Ball Bearings (FDB)? so read carefully next time.

Oh, well that makes sense...

But why on earth would you bother saying so? It has zero affect on performance, and I've yet to hear anyone who has tried both call out any difference in noise...

Jason

Real world experience? OK, here goes.

I've fitted a number of 740X drives recently, and wasn't terribly impressed. Most of the PCs were VIA PLE133 based boards with 10.A Celerons, and a few KT133A.

Then! My eyes were opened to the 740X. I fitted one to a 2Ghz P4 machine using the very fine SiS 645 chipset board. Holy cow, the 20Gb 740X FLEW it was going so fast!!!

Totally amazed at the difference on the P4 - shows how feeble VIA's IDE interface is.

So, yes, the 740X is worth using. Highly recommended, a good successor to the Fireball+AS, which is also a good drive.

i've been using the 40gb 740x as a replacement in client machines of late. they seem to work quite well. monstrous overkill - replacing a 4gb drive that's half full, with a 40gb drive, is a bit much - but they're the best locally available deal. i need to order cheaper, smaller ones though.

i've been using the 40gb 740x as a replacement in client machines of late. they seem to work quite well. monstrous overkill - replacing a 4gb drive that's half full, with a 40gb drive, is a bit much - but they're the best locally available deal. i need to order cheaper, smaller ones though.

I think there is an untapped market here...

If there was a way to cheaply build 5GB to 10GB drives, perhaps using 2.5" platters and 5,400 RPM spindle speeds... If the cost could be gotten lower, I think you could sell a ton of them...

For each person buying the newest 7,200 RPM super IDE drive, there are 100 people who just need a few GB of cheap, slow drive space for a cheap internet computer that really doesn't do all that much...

If the drive could be made and sold at a price of under $50, they would sell millions of them...

Jason

jehh: the idea is good, but requires one clincher: ultra-reliability. my clients care about two things when it comes to hardware: price and reliability. small, cheap, reliable drives would be the business world's dream come true.

the thing that worries me about the the 740x's is that Maxtor still ships this drive with "Warranty Period To Be Determined". how wrong is that? they'll warranty is based on a return rate?