Sign in to follow this  
LED ZEPPELIN

Changing Drive Letters

When the 80gb failed in an HP computer I just put a new 160gb seagate in it a few months ago but it was named F:. Windows doesn't like that and it causes errors like please insert disk or hard drive not found. It won't let me install anything anymore either. I can't even run adaware to get the spyware off of it. I'm thinking of doing a format. This time, how do I make sure it is C: this time?

P.S - It is set on master. Is it true in order for it to be read as C: on HP computers it needs to be set as cable select?

Thanks. :)

You can set it to any drive letter you want. Go to Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Storage > Disk Management > Right click on the drive > Change drive letter and paths > Then change or add depending on the situation.

Hope this helps. :D

This can screw up programs if they are installed to the drive because the computer will no longer be able to locate them.

Disk Mangler doesn't let you change the letter of the boot drive. If when you first installed Windows on the drive it was C: and has now changed to F: you can repair it by FDISK/MBR. If you actually installed to F: you'll have to reinstall again after applying FDISK/MBR or FIXMBR. In the latter case, I'd recommend a format before reinstalling.

Disk Mangler doesn't let you change the letter of the boot drive.  If when you first installed Windows on the drive it was C: and has now changed to F: you can repair it by FDISK/MBR.  If you actually installed to F: you'll have to reinstall again after applying FDISK/MBR or FIXMBR.  In the latter case, I'd recommend a format before reinstalling.

204032[/snapback]

If I am not mistaken Disk Manager will also NOT allow you to change the letter of the drive/partition on which the PageFile is located. If I need to do this I temporarily move the Pagefile to another partition.

My experience with "fdisk /mbr" is that this works best if this is run from a Win98SE boot disk.

Edited by subman

As I understand it, the new 160 GB harddrive is the only one installed in the system and it has a single partition (all 160 GB) which for some reason has become F:.

If this is correct, I would use DelPart to remove all traces of the current partition information on the harddisk.

Next, I would insert the WinXP-CD and restart the computer. After the "F8 thing", it will tell You that there are no partitions on the harddisk and ask if You want to create one. Have the installer create either (1) a single partition using all the available space or (2) a smaller system partition. If You choose (2), the rest of the unallocated space will get partitioned after installation in Disk Manager.

If there are two optical drives then the result should be C: = partition on HDD, D: = optical #1 and E: = optical #2.

If option (2) was chosen and You partition the remaining space in Disk Manager in say two partitions, they will become F: and G: respectively. To avoid that, start by changing the drive letters of the opticals from D: => X: and E: => Y: respectively. Restart the computer and do the partitioning which will render the added partitions D: and E: respectively.

Now, You have the partitions in sequence and the opticals tucked away where they don't interfere.

Christer

Ok, I reformatted and it must have realized the orig. drive was no longer there and the 160gb is now C:

It reads as 130gb. I need a BIOS update but I'm too lazy. :D

Ok, I reformatted and it must have realized the orig. drive was no longer there and the 160gb is now C:

It reads as 130gb.  I need a BIOS update but I'm too lazy. :D

204214[/snapback]

I think you need to install windows sp1 or enable biglba in the registry

Yea, it still doesn't work.  I have to partition the extra 20+ GB in a separate partition.  I installed SP2 and it still reads as 130GB

204216[/snapback]

When I formatted my Maxtor 250gb as a single 250GB partition I got it done with an XP SP2 slipstream CD via the Recovery Console. This had no problem formatting the full drive.

Alternatively the drive could be attached to another setup of XP which has SP2 loaded and using Disk Management the full drive will get formatted.

All this will be possible only if the BIOS is capable of recognising drives over 137GB.