davidedney123

Inserting a disc causes PC to stutter

Actually, when disk is inserted, the drives perform some basic disk operations, then sends out an event to the OS through interrupt. The OS process the event and so on, which has higher priority than normal tasks, and thus cause a small hang on the system.

Therefore, the duration of the delay is really dependent on the optical drive, CPU, and all system resource as a whole.

203580[/snapback]

Reading a disk is not CPU intensive. Hence, any delays you experience are caused by blocking somewhere, either in drivers, kernel or apps.

203688[/snapback]

Read my msg carefully. Where is the implication of "cpu intensive" coming from?

203705[/snapback]

The 'higher priority' and the 'thus cause a small hang' bits.

203710[/snapback]

Was speaking in term of software developement. I guess that caught you.

I see a lot of myths here...

It is totally dependent on the optical drive, period. It has nothing to do with processor speed, some older OS's may have a 'bug' but in XP with my pioneer DVD-Writers I have not had the "cd rom" hang in ages, and other CD/DVD burning programs may or may not bug out while the disc is still being read but thats normal being the programs they are. Windows explorer will bug out for a bit if you have it open, so it will be unresponsive until the disc is read and its file system is loaded/mounted, but this just a part of how the file browser in explorer (how it displays lists of files) was designed. It reads/mounts any new discs and has to refresh the list and redraw the window. Programs being the nice loops they are (remember windows also is one big perpetual loop), so its understandable that the drive will make certain applications hang.

I see a lot of myths here...

It is totally dependent on the optical drive, period.  It has nothing to do with processor speed, some older OS's may have a 'bug' but in XP with my pioneer DVD-Writers I have not had the "cd rom" hang in ages, and other CD/DVD burning programs may or may not bug out while the disc is still being read but thats normal being the programs they are.  Windows explorer will bug out for a bit if you have it open, so it will be unresponsive until the disc is read and its file system is loaded/mounted, but this just a part of how the file browser in explorer (how it displays lists of files) was designed.  It reads/mounts any new discs and has to refresh the list and redraw the window.  Programs being the nice loops they are (remember windows also is one big perpetual loop), so its understandable that the drive will make certain applications hang.

215476[/snapback]

My whole system will freeze for about 3-5 seconds when a blank is inserted. This has been with multiple PCs. I do remember my dual xeon with SCSI everything did it a lot less. It is damn annoying as a modern CPU and motherboard with all the processing power available should be able to continue working while the file system figures out what is on the disk inserted. There is NO reason it should stall like this and it's one of the obvious glaring examples of what a poorly designed product windows is.

Does this happen on macs? Linux?

Brand and capacity make no difference to the hardware effect, they only shorten or exasperate an existing effect.

Also bad or underpowered PSU's don't have that effect, they prefer to just crash the system completely.