kocoman

What dos/linux app to test hd speed <2gb hd

I have a few 2gb hd I want to use one that is the fastest, without installing an OS or using linux only (I don't run windows) how to test the hd speed?

also, for erasing drive (to sell it) under linux, is dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs= etc, enough? or do I need commerical app? Thanks

I would just pick the one with the fewest platters for the highest areal density. Eg. an old WD disk with a model number starting with "1" has one platter and "3" has three platters.

As I know little about Linux, I have no idea what programs you could use under Linux to benchmark a drive. However as for zeroing it, I'd recommend the manufacturer supplied utility for drive maintainence, e.g. Seagate Seatools, Maxtor PowerMax, Hitachi DFT, etc.

I have a few 2gb hd I want to use one that is the fastest, without installing an OS or using linux only (I don't run windows) how to test the hd speed?

also, for erasing drive (to sell it) under linux, is dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs= etc, enough? or do I need commerical app?  Thanks

203216[/snapback]

Boot from Linux live CD, e.g. Knoppix, and run bonnie++. You'll have to have the disk partitioned and formatted (can be done from within Knoppix as well), but no OS need be installed on it.

You can read about bonnie++ here.

open a terminal...at the prompt as user do the following: "hdparm -Tt /dev/hdx" replace x with the correct drive letter for the drive. That should do it in terms of testing drive speed...space between m and dash....space between small t and slash....