Sign in to follow this  
hellyh72

Probably the best defrag utility . . . .

This is the ONLY Microsoft Certified 3rd party disk defrag utility I know of. It is probably the best defrag utility available, it works great, very user friendly and can be set to do a startup defrag since when you're in Windows natrually alot of system files, MFT data and your Pagefile often is not completely defragmentable. This program is way better than anything like "Speedisk" and far more comprehensive than Microsoft's built in disk defragmenter.

http://www.raxco.com

Uh yeah, since I guess I now realize you and possibly others may not understand that I am simply "recommending" this product for others to try I will make it clear "I am simply recommending this product" :blink:

Spamming? I'm not selling anything or have anything to do with this company except I use and like their product and recommend for others to check out and/or try it. I am a professional data recovery technican for a well known company and not once have I even mentioned that company or offered our services to anyone on this forum nor will I ever when replying to others about their problems so am as far from "spamming" this forum as possible contrary to what you think.

Edited by hellyh72

Phrases like "This is the ONLY Microsoft Certified 3rd party disk defrag utility I know of" make your post sound like a damn press release. Seriously, who the crap cares if Microsoft Certified it or not? Your post reads like something a marketing company drew up; full of praise but devoid of any actual information.

:rolleyes: geez I'm very sorry I didn't realize how "delicate" this would be to some for simply recommending a program I like and I guess should have been very careful with my wording. I had no idea certain guys would jump all over this and get all sensative about it. I guess you feel you speak for everyone huh, well there are people that do care about those things (not that it's the only thing that makes this program great while it is the only Microsoft Certified 3rd party defrag utility). I know a few hardcore techs that actually do care about things like when it comes to certain drivers and utilities being Microsoft Certified. The majority of the operating systems used are Microsoft. Microsoft doesn't often "certify" very much and I doubt this little company is able pay Microsoft anything worth their while so that probably does mean something. It was probably Microsoft certified for a reason and I did check it out originally because it was "Microsoft Certified" (trying to steer clear from those piece of crap 3rd party defrag utilities for Windows and anyone should know there are a lot of them out there), hell Microsoft makes the operating system. Myself and others use Windows, how can a "Microsoft Certified" program be a bad thing . . . . ? Anyway, try it or don't try it, download it for free, don't download it or give any thought to it for all I care, doesn't make a difference to me. It's very nice you don't give a crap, have a nice day and take care . . . . Edited by hellyh72

CLARIFICATION: I would like to apologize beforehand for not being "careful" with my wording that may be misinterperated to anything other than a simple recommendation from a satisfied user. A couple of others think I'm advertising this or something, which I promise I am not and I want to make it very clear. Just check it out and if you like it, try it, if you don't just leave it at that. Unfortunately this site would not allow me to go back and edit it. Thanks!

Executive Software's Diskeeper is also MS Certified as well. (And if you look really closely, you'll find that the defragger that comes with Windows is also made by Executive Software!).

PS. Your initial post does sound like SPAM.

ah, interesting, I wasn't aware of that.  Actually Perfectdisk is supposed to be better than Diskeeper per this performance testing .PDF but who knows . . . .

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2...rmance_Test.pdf :unsure:

203120[/snapback]

A PDF hosted by Raxco that shows Raxco's products being better than someone elses? No way!! Get outta here! Seriously, get out of here.

I could understand this posting if someone came up and asked, "Hey, anyone know a good defrag program?" but they didn't. Looks like an advertisement to me.

:P

Executive Software's Diskeeper is also MS Certified as well. (And if you look really closely, you'll find that the defragger that comes with Windows is also made by Executive Software!).

PS. Your initial post does sound like SPAM.

203112[/snapback]

Tried almost all of the defrag softwares out there, and so far Perfectdisk is the one to keep.

This discussion does come up once in a while and every time there are three utilities that get mentioned. PerfectDisk, Diskeeper and O&O's application. All three get glowing reviews which makes it very difficult to choose one. I was all set to buy Diskeeper but now I'm confused again. I'm turning my XP box into XP Media Center Edition so I want a set and forget defragger. I think Diskeeper advertises itself as that but I'm guessing PerfectDisk and O&O do the same. Time to research again. :(

I was just going to try this, they wont let me download it, as I already have downloaded it, presumably I cant have thought too much of it.

As for Diskeeper, I tried that, I did'nt do what I wanted it to, which was to defragment my page file, it was whinging that I need to buy the full copy. Fair enough I thought, I got rid of it, but the dirty Bastards who make Diskeeper kept on spamming me with e-mails, the only way to get them to stop was to send them vast quantities of rude abuse that they must have picked up, and blacklisted me (thanks to abuse filters).

Havent tried O&O, but someone on here suggested "Page Defrag" made by "Sysinternals", works a treat, and its FREE, and they did'nt spam me on a daily basis, but unfortunatly it only defrags the Page File, and some of the other files that the Defragger built into Windows misses.

However I did'nt think that "hellyh72" was spamming, someone will probably moan at me for spamming "Sysinternals Page Defrag", and also for totally slamming me for disliking Diskeepers e-mail abuse (spamming), hey-ho.

Andy

Actually sysinternals page defrag tool along with contig (i think also a sysinternals tool) are highly recommended here, but they don't have all the bells and whistles of the other apps mentioned.

I think I remember what it is.. Diskeeper, while great, has some irritating built-in limitations, such as not working on Windows 2K3, and only working on volumes up to 512GB in size. You have to buy the Server version to get those features, but then you can't install it on 'lesser' systems.

I think I remember what it is.. Diskeeper, while great, has some irritating built-in limitations, such as not working on Windows 2K3, and only working on volumes up to 512GB in size. You have to buy the Server version to get those features, but then you can't install it on 'lesser' systems.

204138[/snapback]

mmmm... that would do it.

hellyh72, your message came across as spam (even though it is not) for several

reasons:

1. "ONLY"? If you tell me that something is the only MS certified solution,

that immediately raises a red flag. Because that basically means no one else

thought it was worth the time and money needed to test and certify their

products. Which should otherwise seem important to companies that have

few other real distinctions in thier products. It also means that even MS

didn't think it was worthwhile to include the built in defragger as at least

the baseline of certification (or it implies that the built in defragger does

not live up to certification standards).

2. Microsoft Certification doesn't mean Jack, unless you know to what and why

the certification was granted. In fact, there are several examples where

using the "Microsoft Certified" option would be the LAST choice one should

make, because of inherent limitations on how some of those solutions have

been applied; "paper" MSCEs, who have no real world experience to back

up their demands for top-dollar salaries, "certified" hardware drivers, that

don't support functionality that users have come to depend upon, and the

fact that it takes me more that five minutes of effort to even come close to

finding a list of "certified" applications at Microsoft.com tells me how much

relative importance they place on the distinction.

3. It completely disregards the good information given by other members

of this forum, and other sites that have shown where and when MS themselves

have been wrong in the implementation of thier technology, thus making

any software certification worthless in and of itself.

(NOTE: I'm not saying that raxco makes a bad product, I have recommended it

myself in the past; I am saying if that is your main criteria for choosing it as

a product, then you deserve the pwnage you incur by posting that as a fact.)

There is a good reason people usually give more than one recommendation

of a product in threads like these "Which defragger/virusscanner/spyware cleaner

should I use?" commentaries. Because (A) there are a lot of good, reliable, and

real world tested products out there to keep informed on, and (B) we don't want

to sound like corporate shills who only endorse one product over everything else.

Some of us are quite willing to change our methods if a new product comes along

that serves our needs better than what we've used in the past.

Strafe, you can do what I tried the last time a big defrag thread came up.

(and it is the "true" way to resolve the issue)

Download each of the trial versions from the 3 defrag companies

(Executive, Raxco, and O&O), and save them in a special folder you

have set up for that purpose, along with a blank text file.

Install each one for the length of the trial period (30 days each), and keep

notes of how each performed during that period... How they installed,

how hard/easy it was to use each one, what you liked/disliked about

the interface, how your system performance was affected, etc...

(it doesn't matter which order you install them in).

At the same time, download some of the freeware defragging utlities

(contig, Pagedefrag, dirms/buzzsaw, Whitney defrag, Diskeeper Lite) and

either play with them during the trial periods (being careful to temporary disable

the trial versions during testing), or after the trial periods have ended.

I say this is the "true" way, not because it endorses any particular defrag

program, but because (a) it gives you a chance to determine which program actually works best for your needs and method of computing, and (B) it

gives you 90+ days to legally evaluate, decide upon, and save up to

purchase the defragger of your choice. Or, if you choose not to get

a commercial defragger, spend the money on something else (like

another hard drive to use as backup, or a donation to support

Storagereview.com).

Edited by cquinn

"Page Defrag" made by "Sysinternals", works a treat

Yeah that's definately a good program, very small, nothing to install really, very simple and it's easy to get for free.

Since I installed PerfectDisk I've set it to defrag my page file everytime I boot. Every once and a while I'll set it to do a System file defrag and MFT optimization, works great however I only do the sys and mft every once and a while because it takes quite a while compared to the page file defrag. Aside from the "look" of the program it works great and you can actaully see a noticeable differnece in most cases. The program is also very comprehensive and takes about as long as Microsoft's Disk Defrag (Smart Placement defrag takes a little longer) while this program seems to do a much better job defragmenting judging by system performance.