UncleZeb

Budget MoBos ?

Hi there !

Been thinking of building a new PC for my kid, a very low budget surf PC,

no top of the line PC, just a basic surf & chat ! No games or 3D graphic appz ! Got 2 other PC/server projects lined up, hence the financial issue...

Is Asrock worth the trouble ??? Been thinking of this one --->

ASRock VIA KT400A Socket A 2DDR400 SATA Sound Lan ... $50

ASRock was formed by ASUS to compete in the low budget arena dominated by cheap motherboard manufacturers like PC Chips. This is just like what Acer did when they formed AOpen and BenQ. :lol:

ASRock motherboards are quite good in fact. As for that motherboard you mentioned, it should be quite suffice (don't expect gaming or server performance though). ;)

If you don't have other parts you're going to use, think Dell. Their prices are crazy and unless you go for the really small machines, all the parts can be replaced by standard parts you can buy in a computer shop.

If you don't have other parts you're going to use, think Dell.  Their prices are crazy and unless you go for the really small machines, all the parts can be replaced by standard parts you can buy in a computer shop.

202766[/snapback]

Check out Emachines at best buy can get a 2.8ghz with monitor and printer for under $300.

I've been recommending to friends and family to go with Dell. The only way to beat the price is to pirate the OS. Check out this site Techbargains for a few days to get the best price on a Dell. On the otherhand if you want to build one for the fun of it you should probably look at a board with built in video Asus. You'll probably end up spending an additional $150 over the Dell for your fun. :)

Hi there !

no top of the line PC, just a basic surf & chat ! No games or 3D graphic appz ! Got 2 other PC/server projects lined up, hence the financial issue...

202758[/snapback]

For that basic use providing you have not purchased a cpu yet. This little motherboard is a great price at $70 and includes the cpu. I know its pc chips but I have used some of these and they seem to perform very well with plenty of ram.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...p?Sku=P459-1000

Heres some 256 meg ddr ram for $12.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...13670&CatId=147

If your gonna buy a cheap already built pc for just surfing heres a good one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...0964&CatId=1306

If you dont have a cpu already heres a barebone kit for $30 you get the mobo, case, psu, cd rom, speakers, kb, mouse, and modem. Its for a p4.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...sp?Sku=N52-3015

Edited by xSTLx

Sorry seems a couple of the items i suggested may be out of stock. But look around on that site you can find some great cheap ways to get a computer together. :D

ATI's Xpress200 chipset isn't bad either. Onboard video and everything else-- adequate for a kid's PC-- for $80. Add in the Semperon or Athlon64 of your choice...

... and it'll still cost more than a new Dell on sale. Oh well. :)

ASRock was formed by ASUS to compete in the low budget arena dominated by cheap motherboard manufacturers like PC Chips. This is just like what Acer did when they formed AOpen and BenQ. :lol:

Funny you say that, because BenQ is a lot better than Acer in projectors :D

Just get a complete system off ebay. I've seen older boxes (low end P3 realm) going for close to nothing.

As for free OS, just get ubuntu. Perfect application, don't need windows for this.

My main gaming PC is comprised of a $45 motherboard.

K7S41GX

1024MB Corsair value ram

Radeon 9700 Pro

M-Audio Audiophile 2496

Adaptec 39160

36GB 15K.3 + 9GB Atlas V

The board goes for about $45, brand new. You can buy a cheap case that includes a PSU for about the same. All you need is a hdd, cdrw, & Ubuntu (as suggested by another member) & you're done. Just about every PC shop will have used monitors in stock they're almost giving away :)

Yep...seen some awesome bargains via those links....unfortunately, they´re outta my reach at the moment..since i´m way over here ------> Sweden 0_=

Ain´t no such thing as motherboard bundles over here..lol, stuff ain´t that cheap over here. Saw some give away prices at TigerDirect.com, with their rebate scheme...sweet. At those prices i could upgrade all my PCs to top of the line AMD64 systems...lol...this definately ain´t fair. Now where did i put that green card :))

Im sure you could order from tigerdirect and get it shipped over but Im not sure. If nothing else have them ship it as a gift they are very easy to work with. For example all those copies of Windows XP OEM I buy from them they send me free power cables hint. :D:D

BenQ, I believe, was formerly known as Goldstar.

Benq is a spin-off of the peripherals divisions to distance it from Acer's OEM/ODM business (Wistron), to end conflict-of-interest issues with its brand-name clients.

LG used to be corporately Lucky-Goldstar (cute name if there ever was one). One of our southeast asian branch offices uses Goldstar PBXs and keyphone systems.

Hi there !

202758[/snapback]

I've build 3 systems based around AthlonXP Asrock boards, and they have been less trouble than any other board I've used. I'd recommend them highly.

Wow I would never do Sis chipsets in a gaming machine, but thats just me.

202913[/snapback]

Why?

And never say never.

203048[/snapback]

The SiS AthlonXP chipsets seem to be behind VIA and Intel in memory bandwidth, which hurts their framerate and a few other applications are slowed down as well. But they are smooth and rock stable compared to my experiences with anything else.

The SiS chipsets for Athlon64 processors are not affected by this because of the Athlon64's onboard memory controller. I haven't had the oppertunity to use one of these chipsetss yet, but I would be intereted in using them above VIA/Nvidia.