bokchoy

Worth upgrading HD in older laptop?

Hi all

Considering upgrading the HD in my Dell Latitude C600 , it has a Hitachi DK23CA-20 (20gig) 4200rpm drive which currently benches about 17mb/s in HD tach. It's painfully slow. However the controller is max ATA/33, so I don't know if upgrading to something like a Seagate momentus 5200.2 would be worth it.

I'm hoping for at least a 50% performance upgrade, but if the max speed is limited to around under 33mb/s for the majority of the drive, would I be expecting too much?

Hi all

Considering upgrading the HD in my Dell Latitude C600 , it has a Hitachi DK23CA-20 (20gig) 4200rpm drive which currently benches about 17mb/s in HD tach. It's painfully slow.  However the controller is max ATA/33, so I don't know if upgrading to something like a Seagate momentus 5200.2 would be worth it.

I'm hoping for at least a 50% performance upgrade, but if the max speed is limited to around under 33mb/s for the majority of the drive, would I be expecting too much?

202750[/snapback]

Hey, if you don't mind, sell me your old 20giger because I am running a 6gb one that is even slower.

I replaced a 6GB disk in a TX chipset notebook (very first chipset with ATA-33) with a 40GNX and the speed difference was easily triple the speed subjectively, and a lot quieter than the old disk. Then switched to a 7k60 and noticed no further improvement in performance or noise. CPU is a K6-III+ at 400MHz and 256MB of RAM is some 192MB more than the 512k of L3 can cache, but performance is surprisingly good using XP. Same chip will run at 672MHz in a desktop board with more FSB choices.

Hi all

Considering upgrading the HD in my Dell Latitude C600 , it has a Hitachi DK23CA-20 (20gig) 4200rpm drive which currently benches about 17mb/s in HD tach. It's painfully slow.  However the controller is max ATA/33, so I don't know if upgrading to something like a Seagate momentus 5200.2 would be worth it.

202750[/snapback]

Yes the UDMA33 is a limiting factor but STR will increase to around 25MB/s. Random access can be significantly improved by using a newer drive. Extra system RAM can also help real life performance.

An increase in spindle speed (eg. 4200rpm to 5400rpm), faster actuator (faster access time), higher data density (60GB vs 20GB), less used (15GB/20GB vs 20GB/60GB) all mean faster user experience. The only trick is to be able to copy the data from the old to the new drive.

Probably worth upgrading, as 2.5" drives have progressed substantially in performance, but also in quietness. STR would probably be the last thing I would worry about on a laptop. Along with a sufficient amount of RAM, a new HD could very well give a laptop another two years of useful life (although your original unit doesn't sound that obsolete).

The Latitude C600 appears to be recent enough, but make sure your BIOS supports drives over 32GB; the workarounds for this limitation on laptops are neither elegant nor reliable in my experience.

Hey, if you don't mind, sell me your old 20giger because I am running a 6gb one that is even slower.

202872[/snapback]

Hi - I'm probably going to keep it just for backup sake. It's not going to be worth enough for me to sell it, but thanks for the interest :)

Thanks smc - I had an inkling it will probably sputter past 32gb, but I'll just have to make multiple partitions which would hopefully get around the limitations.

I finally had some time to look around some more - would it be worth it to get a Momentus 5400.2 ?

I'd probably be looking at a $30-40 difference between a 40gb Momentus 5400.1 8mb vs. 60gb Momentus 5200.2 8mb.

Looking at the datasheets the newer 5400.2 uses slightly less power especially in reading & writing, but that's about it.